- May 22, 2015
- In accidents
The lack of safety features, such as metal casing, safety belts and airbags, make motorcycles and inherently dangerous mode of transportation. Unfortunately, the statistics prove this point. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2013 nearly 5,000 motorcyclists lost their lives in accidents. Although motorcycle fatalities have fell approximately 6 percent, it is still significantly higher than the respective average number of lives lost in automobile accidents.
Although getting into some motorcycle accidents may simply be unavoidable, there are certain steps that you can take to reduce the likelihood of suffering serious injuries that can significantly impact your life and the lives of your loved ones.
The 5 Best Ways to Avoid Motorcycle Injuries
Below are five important steps you can take to avoid becoming a fatal statistic when riding your motorcycle:
- Expect the Unexpected. When riding a motorcycle, you should always be ready to respond to your surroundings. Common things that motorcyclists should be ready to respond to include: cars turning left in front of them; cars passing other cars without oncoming cycles; motorists opening their cars and slamming into them.
- Be Visible on the Road. Motorcycles are generally not as visible as other vehicles on the road. One of the most dangerous aspects of riding a motorcycle is that riders mostly remain in the blind spot of bigger motor vehicles. One of the best ways to avoid a fatal accident is to remain very visible to other motorists on the road.
- Obey Speed Limits. It is tempting for motorcyclists to speed or take unnecessary chances, especially in perfect weather conditions. Speeding in any type of vehicle can be dangerous, especially when riding inherently dangerous motorcycles.
- Never Drink and Drive. According to the NHTSA, one of the leading causes of motorcycle accidents is drinking and driving. Operating a motorcycle requires balance and coordination, both of which can be significantly impaired with even one alcoholic drink. The best advice is to avoid a serious or fatal accident is not to drink and operate a motorcycle.
- Wear Safety Gear. Even if you take every precaution necessary, you may still get into an accident. As such, it is necessary to be properly equipped. In other words, it is imperative to wear a safety helmet, leather jacket, leather pants and boots. These protective gears can prevent serious injuries when involved in a motorcycle accident, such as road abrasion, traumatic brain injury and even broken or fractured bones.
You may not be able to completely avoid getting into an accident, but you can decrease the likelihood of getting into an accident and decrease the likelihood of suffering serious injuries in the event that you are involved in an accident.
Call Us Today!
The legal team at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas is dedicated to helping our motorcycle accident clients reach the best monetary settlement that they deserve. With years of experience and success, we can certainly help your case too! Call us at 1-888-848-5048 to schedule a free, complimentary consultation with our legal team today.
April 14, 2021
April 6, 2021
March 30, 2021
March 24, 2021
March 18, 2021