- April 14, 2010
- In premises Liability
In a premises liability case that could establish an important precedent, 400 people who claim that they were exposed to toxins while they lived at the Ujima Village housing complex in Willowbrook sued Los Angeles County. LA County owns the complex, which Exxon Mobil formerly owned. The suit was filed in the Los Angeles County Superior Court on April 9 and claims that the site’s former owner and developer deliberately concealed evidence of the site’s contamination.
The 300-unit complex was developed on the site where large oil storage tanks sat for many years. The suit claims that the site’s contamination has caused chronic infections, asthma, cognitive and neurological problems, miscarriages, cancer leukemia and other health problems in current and former residents. In addition to damages for injuries and medical costs, the suit is asking for undisclosed damages for the wrongful death of 38 former residents that plaintiffs believe were a result of the contamination.
In 2007, Exxon Mobil confirmed that it had been alerted to “potential concerns with soil conditions” at the site, and the company has been working with state and local agencies to investigate the claims. The oil company issued a statement that said, “Regulatory officials have investigated and found no evidence to date of an immediate public health concern due to environmental conditions at Ujima Village.” Exxon Mobil also claimed that the lawsuit had been filed without the benefit of the facts.
Southern California attorney Samer Habbas has been representing clients in premises liability cases for many years. Like other Long Beach premises liability lawyers, he is avidly following this case as it could potentially be a landmark decision. If you believe that a landowner has been negligent and that negligence led to injuries to you or someone you care for, call 888.848.5084 today to schedule a free consultation with California premises liability attorney Samer Habbas.
Resource link: Los Angeles CA injury Ujima Village residents claim to be exposed to toxins