blog banner

Getting into any car accident can be devastating and unsettling, especially when it involves a drunk driver. Thankfully, the efforts of many groups, such as MADD, have led to fewer people engaging in drunk driving. Unfortunately, even though recent years have seen fewer drunk driving arrests, there has been an increase in the number of DUI related motor vehicle accidents.DUI Accidents

According to a news report printed in The Orange Country Register, the number of fatal DUI accidents, both in Orange County and statewide, has been on the rise. Moreover, the majority of these collisions involve individuals who were on drugs rather than alcohol.

The Unsettling Statistics

In California as a whole, alcohol-related collision deaths have risen from 1,072 in 2010 to 1,197 in 2013. Deaths involving drugged driving rose from 696 to 892 over the same time period. Orange Country topped the list with one of the highest DUI conviction rates in the entire state of California.

Driving under the influence of both drugs and alcohol dove almost 26 percent in Orange County from their peak in 2008 through 2013. However, the number of motor vehicle accidents in Orange County fell only 13 percent from a recent peak in 2005 through 2013.

What To Do If Injured In a DUI-Related Accident

Accidents that involve driving under the influence typically involve more serious injuries and death. If you or someone you know has been injured in an accident that was caused by a drunk or drugged driver, you should take important steps to protect your legal rights.

Similar to any other car accident, you should consider the five important steps below:

  • Seek immediate medical attention and care – if you have sustained serious injuries, you should get medical attention at the scene of the accident by emergency personnel. If your injuries are not as severe, you should nevertheless follow up with your doctor for a complete check.
  • Call the police – this is especially important in accidents involving a DUI.
  • Gather evidence – even if the police have come to the scene of the accident, you should still gather as much evidence as you can, including taking pictures. The more evidence that you have, the more solid and stronger your case will be.
  • Talk to witnesses – if your injuries permit, you should talk to any witnesses who are present at the time of the accident and get their contact information.
  • Contact an accident attorney – even if you think your case is relatively straightforward, you will no doubt need the help of an experienced and aggressive car accident attorney to help you obtain the full compensation that you deserve for the injuries that you have suffered.

Call Us Today!

If you have questions after being injured in a motor vehicle accident, especially if it involved a drunk or drugged driver, our experienced car accident attorneys are available to personally review your case. Call us at 1-888-848-5048 to schedule a free, complimentary consultation with our legal team today.