- March 7, 2015
- In personal Injury
Navigating the murky waters that make up the legal system can be quite the challenge, especially for people with little legal experience or knowledge. As a result, many personal injury claims are fraught with errors and mistakes that ultimately may cost the victim money or result in a reduced settlement amount. Following the proper legal protocol is necessary during any lawsuit and avoiding legal mistakes is vital in obtaining the full compensation deserved.
Below are some of the common mistakes that personal injury victims make when filing a claim:
- Failure to immediately seek medical treatment – If you’ve been involved in a car accident and feel pain of any sort, you should seek immediate medical attention. Failing to obtain the medical attention that you deserve may not only affect your health and recovery, but also your ability to obtain the compensation that you deserve.
- Failure to call the police – Getting an official police report in the aftermath of an accident may be vital. For one, it makes an official account of the accident, and it also may place responsibility for what happened.
- Failure to properly document the scene of accident – If you have a camera or smartphone, take photos of the accident. Pictures are important evidence, especially if liability is at dispute.
- Providing a recorded statement to the insurance adjuster – Insurance adjusters make it their goal to immediately contact an opposing party once a claim has been opened. Providing recorded statements to adjusters in the immediate aftermath of an accident with the presence of an attorney can jeopardize your claim because you may provide inaccurate or inappropriate information that will later be used against you.
- Failure to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney – When you are injured, the last thing you want to do is to handle the legal aspects of your claim. Unfortunately, in most situations, legally unrepresented accident victims cannot effectively handle their personal injury claim and obtain the full compensation they deserve.
For more information or to schedule a free consultation with an Orange County personal injury attorney, please call the Law Offices of Samer Habbas today at 888.848.5084.