The Different Types of Car Accidents
Lower gas prices combined with risky activities like speeding and driving while texting is increasing the number of car accidents for American drivers. According to the National Safety Council (NCS), more than 40,000 people died in motor vehicle crashes in 2016. This is a 6 percent increase from 2015 and a 14 percent increase in deaths since 2014. This is the biggest two-year jump in more than five decades. The NCS also notes that 2016 is the deadliest year on U.S. roads since 2007.
Not all motor vehicle accidents are fatal. There are also millions more who are seriously injured. In 2015, an estimated 4.6 million people were injured in car crashes.
Common Types of Car Crashes
Not all car accidents are created equal. Accidents can happen in different ways and it is not always possible to avoid them. However, it is helpful to be aware of the most common types of car accidents.
- Rear-end accidents. Rear-end collisions generally happen when drivers suddenly slow down or brake. This causes the car behind them, who may be following too closely, accelerating too quickly, or simply not paying attention to slam into the car in front of them.
- Side-impact accidents. Side-impact accidents are commonly referred to as T-bone accidents. These types of accident occur when the side of a car is hit by the front or rear of another car. T-bone accidents generally result in more serious injuries.
- Sideswipe accidents. Sideswipe accidents happen when two vehicles that are parallel touch and “swipe” each other. These types of accidents can be serious if one of the drivers loses control of the car.
- Vehicle rollover accidents. Vehicle rollover accidents occur when a car flips over and lands on its side or roof. Although any type of vehicle can be involved in a rollover accident, the most common accidents involve SUVs and other cars with a high centre of gravity. Rollovers typically occur when the driver makes a sharp turn at a high speed.
- Head-on accidents. Head-on accidents happen two cars that are facing each collides. These accidents result in serious and even fatal injuries.
- Multi-car pile-ups. Multi-vehicle pile-ups involve more than 2 vehicles. Most of these accidents happen on highways or freeways. Determining the cause of these types of accidents is often difficult.
Contact an Experienced Orange County Car Accident Attorney
At the Law Offices of Samer Habbas, our Orange County car accident attorneys are experienced in getting our clients the full compensation they deserve. If you or a loved one suffered serious injuries in an accident caused by another party, it is imperative that you get immediate legal help. These types of cases generally involve complicated legal issues that demand the guidance of an accident attorney.
For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our OC car accident lawyers, please call us at 888.848.5084.