- November 16, 2015
- In wrongful Death
Losing a loved one in an accident can be a traumatic experience, especially when the victim was merely a passenger in a taxi cab. As a family member of a loved one who was killed in an accident, you may be entitled to filing a wrongful death claim seeking monetary compensation.
Since these cases involve the death of an innocent victim, they should be valued at a much higher rate. Unfortunately, even though these cases may be highly valued, it does not mean the victim’s loved ones will get the full compensation that they deserve. One major reason for this is the fact that taxis carry minimal insurance. Nevertheless, for most claimants, the monetary compensation is only half the reason why the file a lawsuit – the other major reason being a sense of justice and closure.
What Is a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
A wrongful death lawsuit is designed to compensate the family members of the individual who died for losses sustained as a result of the death. Each state has its own laws that specifically deal with the details of a wrongful death action. Generally, wrongful death statutes allow claimants to seek compensation for:
- Civil damages
- Emotional damages for grief, sorry, and mental
- Lost financial support
- Lost prospect of inheritance
- Loss of future earning capacity the decedent would have earned
- Lost value of services provided, like child care or home maintenance
- Other related costs
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
Each state has its own rules dealing with wrongful death statutes, especially with regard to who can file a wrongful death lawsuit. Although some states have specified exactly who can file a wrongful death lawsuit, other states have allowed a more pragmatic approach that would allow non-traditional families or extended family members to also file suit.
Generally, the following criteria must be met in order to be eligible to file a wrongful death action after losing a loved one in a taxi cab accident:
- You are the immediate family member of the deceased, including the spouse, child, or parent
- You have proof that your loved one was the decedent in the taxi accident, such as a death certificate signed by the coroner
- You have suffered damages – in other words, you need to prove that as a result of losing your loved one in the taxi cab accident, you have suffered emotional and/or financial trauma as a direct result of your family member’s death.
An experienced taxi accident attorney can help you determine whether you have met these requirements and are eligible to file a wrongful death action after losing your loved one in an accident involving a taxi.
Consult with a Taxi Accident Attorney in Los Angeles
If you believe that you or a loved one has been injured in a taxi cab accident that was caused by the reckless actions of another party, you may be entitled to monetary compensation. For more information or to schedule a free consultation with an experienced taxi cab accident attorney, call the Law Offices of Samer Habbas today at 888.848.5084.
April 14, 2021
April 6, 2021
March 30, 2021
March 24, 2021
March 18, 2021