blog banner

Orange County Car AccidentThe aftermath of an accident can be even more traumatic than the accident itself. It is common to be both physically and mentally shaken up. Immediately after an accident, you may be worried about the extent of your injuries, whether the other people in your car are okay, and how badly your car is damaged. As preoccupied as you may be, it is important to file three important reports to protect your legal rights.

File a Police Report

One of the most important steps to take after a car accident is to file a police report, even if you or no one else in your car was injured. California law (California Vehicle Code Section 20008) requires that all drivers involved in a car accident to report the accident to either the California Highway Patrol or the local police department where the accident occurred. The report must be filed within 24 hours of the accident.

In most cases, the police will come to the scene of the accident. If they do, it is important that you clearly tell them your version of how the accident happened and the extent of your injuries.

File a Report With the California Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV)

You also need to file a report of the accident with the California DMV if any of the below factors are met:

Someone in the accident was injured – regardless of the severity of the injury sustained
The accident resulted in a fatality
Property damage resulting from the accident exceed $1000

In order to report your accident, you will need to complete an SR1, also known as a Traffic Accident Report. You can find this form on the DMV website. If you have hired an Orange County accident attorney, he will complete and file the report on your behalf.

File a Report with Your Insurance Company

You will also need to file a report with your insurance, even if you were not at fault. Depending on the specifics of your contract, your insurance company may require this. If you fail to quickly report the accident, it may result in your insurance company rejecting your claim. When you report the accident, you should provide an accurate statement of what happened, the information of the other party, and a copy of the police report.

Call an Orange County Car Accident Attorney Today!

The legal team at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas is dedicated to helping our injured clients reach the best monetary settlement when they are involved in any type of accidents.

If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury in a car accident that was caused by the negligent actions of another party, our experienced Orange County car accident attorneys are available to personally review your case. Call us at 1-888-848-5048 to schedule a free, complimentary consultation with our legal team today.

Tags : accident