Important Steps To Take After a Dog Bite
A dog may be a man’s best friend, but it can also be a man’s worse enemy if and when it attacks. Approximately 4.7 million Americans are attacked and bit by dogs every year. About half of these victims are children between the ages of 5 and 9. One out of every five dog attacks cause a serious injury that requires extensive medical care and treatment, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
Although stray dogs can bite, most of the time people are actually attacked by a dog they know. If you or a loved one was attacked or bitten by a dog, you may be entitled to compensation. An experienced Los Angeles dog bite attorney can help you obtain the money damages you deserve.
Immediate Steps to Take After a Dog Bite
Below is a quick list of important steps to take after a dog bite:
- Get the information of the dog’s owner and the people who had custody of the dog when it attacked you
- Get the information of any witnesses to the dog bite or attack
- Take photographs of your wounds and injuries
- Seek immediate medical attention
- Report the dog bite to the animal control in your jurisdiction and make a report
Perhaps one of the most important steps is to consult with an attorney. An attorney who has experience dealing with dog bites and attacks can hold the dog owner responsible for his or her actions. Your Los Angeles dog bite attorney can also help you get compensation for:
- Past and future medical bills
- Loss of income
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional and mental trauma
Steps to Avoid
If the dog owner is insured, the owner might report the incident to their insurance carrier before you even hire an attorney. In such cases, you might get a call from the insurance company. If you get the call before you have an opportunity to hire a lawyer, it is important to avoid the following:
- Do not discuss money, settlement or injury value
- Do not set up an appointment
- Do not write a letter or a memo
- Do not allow yourself to be tape recorded
- Do not discuss who is responsible for the attack
- Do not accept any money
Call a Los Angeles Dog Bite Attorney!
If you or a loved one was seriously attacked or bitten by a dog, you may have a personal injury claim against the dog’s owner. You should immediately consult with an experienced Los Angeles dog bite attorney to help protect your rights and get you the full compensation that you deserve.
For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with a Los Angeles personal dog attack lawyer, please call the Law Offices of Samer Habbas at (888) 848-5084.