I Was Injured In a Bus Accident – What Do I Do Now?
Getting into any type of accident can leave you dazed, confused and worried. However, when your accident is bus-related, you may be even more confused and worried about what steps you should take immediately after the accident to protect your legal right and ensure that you obtain the full damages that you are entitled to for the injuries that you have suffered.
This article provides important information if you or a loved one has been injured in a bus accident.
Common Causes of a Bus Accident
There are many different factors that you or your attorney should consider when determining the cause of your bus accident. Some common causes include:
- Driver negligence
- Defective equipment
- Dangerous roadways
- Poor weather conditions
- Improper maintenance
It should be noted that no two bus accidents are similar in facts, and there can be more than one cause for a bus accident. As such, your attorney should thoroughly investigate the specific facts surrounding your bus accident in order to determine liability and to make sure that all proper parties are held accountable for the injuries that you have suffered.
The Steps You Should Take Immediately After a Bus Accident
The steps you take immediately after a bus accident can significantly impact the outcome of your claim. Below are five steps you need to take immediately after a bus accident:
- Move away from the bus as quickly as possible. This step is important, particularly if the accident involved another vehicle or object. A small and simple gas leak from the bus can result in a catastrophic or deadly fire or explosion.
- Seek medical attention. If you were seriously injured, you may require medical attention at the scene of the accident. However, even if you were not seriously injured, you should still seek medical attention to make sure you are not seriously injured.
- Document the scene of the accident. Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including all damaged vehicles.
- Keep a record of your damages. You need to keep a record of all damages you have incurred as a result of the accident.
- Consult with an experienced bus accident attorney. It is important to consult with an attorney as soon as possible following a bus accident, especially if the bus is owned by a government agency. In these cases, you often have a shorter time frame to file a claim. If you fail to timely file your claim, you may be forever barred from pursuing your claim.
Call an Experienced Los Angeles Bus Accident Attorney
The legal team at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas is dedicated to helping our bus accident clients who have suffered serious injuries reach the best monetary settlements.
If you or a loved one has any questions about your bus accident claim, our experienced Los Angeles bus accident attorneys are available to personally review your case. Call us at 1-888-848-5048 to schedule a free, complimentary consultation with our legal team today.