- October 5, 2012
- In insurance
When they are evaluating how much to offer to you pay for bodily injury claims, insurance adjusters consider many factors and aspects of each individual case. The primary one is the relationship among the following factors:
- the accident that is alleged to have caused the injury,
- the injury itself, and
- medical records that document the injury.
Your Orange County personal injury attorney can help you to ensure that your claim is sound and consistent enough to warrant the highest possible offer.
In terms of the medical records specifically, insurance adjusters will most closely scrutinize:
- Medical opinion(s) that support any claims of permanent scarring or injury;
- Medical opinion(s) that support any claims about the duration of the period of disability caused by the injury;
- Anything that might indicate an inconsistency between the injury claims being made and the actual medical history of the injured party in question;
- Any notes indicating claims or injuries that have occurred in the past, especially any that pertain to pre-existing conditions or injuries to the same body part pertinent to the new claim; and
- Notation relating to intoxication or inebriation from drugs or alcohol.
Another essential element of a personal injury case that will be closely examined by insurance adjusters is a sense of proportionality between the medical bills being claimed and the actual injury that is claimed. Over time, insurance adjusters are able to discern when an injury is not severe enough to warrant a high amount of medical bills. “Build up” is a term used among adjusters to describe artificial inflation in the amount of medical bills incurred that is used by claimants in order to increase the perceived settlement value of a claim. An experienced Orange County injury lawyer will be able to help you to ensure that your claim is not too high so that you can avoid an adjuster perceiving you as unreasonable or untruthful about your case.
If you or a loved one have been injured and are seeking compensation, you will need the help of a qualified Orange County personal injury attorney to ensure that you get a fair settlement. The insurance company has its adjusters and you should have someone on your side of the claim. Call Orange County personal injury attorney Samer Habbas at (888) 848-5084 for legal help with your case.