- November 29, 2013
- In abuse/neglect Attorney
Nursing homes are defined as private institutions that provide shelter, food and care for the elderly. Although these facilities are not hospitals because they do not provide actual medical treatment, they are considered a type of hospital with regard to certain purposes depending on the state and federal statutes that govern the way they operate.
Any elderly individual who resides in a nursing home is entitled to certain legal rights guaranteed by the federal 1987 Nursing Home Reform Law. If you or a loved one’s rights have been violated, you should consult with an Orange County nursing home abuse attorney who is experienced in this field of law.
What Are Nursing Home Residents’ Rights?
Under the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Law, each nursing home facility is required to care for its residents in a manner that promotes and enhances the resident’s quality of life. In other words, while under the care of the facility, the resident’s health should not decline due to the lack of care or abusive conditions of the facility.
More specifically, the law provides that each nursing home resident is entitled to the following rights:
- To be fully informed of his or her rights as granted under state and federal law.
- To make choices that are independent of what the facility provides.
- To have visitation from friends and family.
- To be treated with dignity, respect and freedom.
- To privacy and confidentiality.
- To participate in their own healthcare.
- To complain to higher authority, including filing a complaint with state agencies.
We Can Help
If you or someone you know was the victim of nursing home abuse or negligent conduct or whose legal rights were violated under the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Law, you should contact a Los Angeles nursing home abuse attorney as you have rights and may be entitled to money damages.
For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our Los Angeles nursing home abuse attorneys, please contact the Law Offices of Samer Habbas at (888) 848-5084.
April 14, 2021
April 6, 2021
March 30, 2021
March 24, 2021
March 18, 2021