- January 31, 2014
- In abuse/neglect Attorney
One of the leading types of elder abuse in nursing home facilities is malnutrition. Although malnutrition may not seem serious to most people, it can in fact be a deadly form of abuse and neglect for elders who are often weak and suffering from various health conditions.
What Is Malnutrition in Nursing Homes?
Malnutrition is defined as not getting the sufficient nutrition through a balanced diet that your body needs. While malnutrition generally occurs when an individual suffers from lack of food, in nursing home facilities lack of nutritious foods is not generally the problem. There are other issues that lead to malnutrition, such as:
- The nursing home staff serving the residents the wrong portions.
- The elderly residents not being able to eat the food they are served for various reasons, including dental problems.
- The elderly residents not being able to feed themselves and the nursing home staff not properly addressing the problem, such as placing a nursing tube.
- Staffing shortages putting the elderly residents at risk for malnutrition through neglect.
- Providing ruined, cold or bland foods to residents, due to improper storage and cooking.
Signs of Malnutrition
Unlike other types of nursing home abuse where the symptoms are physically apparent, signs and symptoms of malnutrition may be difficult to spot. If you have noticed any of the following signs or symptoms in your elderly loved one who is living in a resident home, you should immediate notify authority as he or she may be suffering from malnutrition:
- Abnormal loss of weight
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Swollen or bleeding gums
- Unusual loss of memory
- Severely dry skin
- Bloated abdomen area
Malnutrition can be very serious and can lead to serious health risks or even death. If you suspect that your loved one has been a victim of malnutrition at their nursing home facility, you should immediately report the problem and get your loved one the help they need.
Nursing Home Abuse? We Can Help
The Orange County nursing home abuse attorneys at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas are experts in nursing home malnutrition cases. We can help you and your elderly loved one get the justice and money damages they deserve.
For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with an experienced attorney, call us 1-888-848-5084.
December 30, 2020
December 24, 2020
November 24, 2020
November 18, 2020
November 12, 2020