Do I Have a Personal Injury Case?
Getting injured in an accident can leave you confused about your legal rights. Immediately after an accident, your friends and family may urge you to speak to an accident attorney to protect your legal rights. The fact is that when you are seriously injured in an accident, it is easy to become overwhelmed. Who is going to pay for your property damage, medical bills, and loss of wages? Despite other people’s comments about how you have the “best case,” you may still wonder whether your case is in fact valid.
Determining whether you have a valid personal injury claim depends on various factors. Most Los Angeles personal injury lawyers will provide you with a free complimentary consultation to help you make this decision.
4 Things to Consider When Determining If You Have a Case
There are four basic factors that you should consider when determining whether you have a claim after an accident:
- Whether your injury occurred as a direct result of the negligent or reckless actions of another individual or party.
- Whether you sustained injuries directly resulting from the accident that can be documented by a medical professional.
- Whether you have sufficient evidence that can prove your injuries resulted from the negligent actions of the other party (generally a witness, pictures, etc.).
- Whether you can show that your injury resulted in damages, whether physical, emotional or financial.
What To Do After an Accident
The steps you initially take after an accident can significantly impact your personal injury case. Some important steps you should take immediately after an accident include:
- Calling the police or appropriate authority to the scene of the accident to prepare a report.
- Seeking immediate medical attention. This is important even if you think your injuries are only minor. Signs and symptoms of certain medical conditions may not surface until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Getting the pertinent information for all parties involved in the accident.
- Getting information from any eyewitnesses to the scene of the accident.
- Gathering as much evidence and information about the accident as possible, including taking pictures at the scene of the accident. This will help your attorney prove the other party was in fact the cause of the accident that resulted in your injuries.
- Not talking to or providing recorded statements to any insurance adjusters, including adjusters from your own insurance carrier.
However, one of the most important steps is to consult with a Los Angeles accident attorney to help guide you in obtaining the full compensation you deserve.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, you should immediately consult with an experienced attorney as you may be entitled to compensation. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer, please call the Law Offices of Samer Habbas at (888) 848-5084.