blog banner

More than 10 million car accidents are reported each year, according to the National Safety Council. In fact, statistics show that the average driver will file a claim for a car accident approximately every 17.9 years. So, if you got your driver’s license at the age of 16, the odds are that you will get into an accident by the time you turn 34. Van Rollover Accident Attorney lawyer

The bottom line is, it is unlikely that you will remain accident-free. The real question is whether you know how to properly report an accident once you are involved in one.

Reporting Accidents to Right Entities

When you are involved in a car accident, you should report the accident to three entities, depending on the severity of the accident: the police, your insurance carrier, and your state’s Department of Motor Vehicle.

The Police

The majority of states require accident victims to report a car accident to the police if the accident results in damages that exceed $500 or $1,000 or if it causes bodily injuries to victims. Since it may be difficult to estimate how much damage an accident has caused until some time after the accident, the best policy is to request the police to come to the scene of the accident and document the details of the accident.

Your Insurance Company

Regardless of who you think may be at fault for the accident, you should immediately report the accident to your own insurance company. However, if you believe the other party is at fault, you should obtain an experienced car accident attorney to help you call both your own insurance carrier and the carrier for the other party.

State Agency

Most states require motorists to file an accident report with the state agency if it involves bodily injuries or a certain amount of property damage. If you have hired an attorney, he or she should file the report for you.

Call Us Today!

For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with an experienced Los Angeles car accident attorney, please call the Law Offices of Samer Habbas at 1-888-848-5048.