Rideshare Services Increase Traffic Accident Deaths
A growing number of people are starting to rely on rideshare companies, such as Uber and Lyft, when they need a ride. As convenient as these rideshares may be, they have resulted in more dangerous car crashes on the road. This is especially true for metropolitan areas that are generally plagued with heavier traffic and more congested roadways.
The Rise in Crashes After Rideshare Expansion
In the years before rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft started to pop up in cities across the United States, fatal car crashes were at records lows. In fact, government data shows that by 2010, just before the rideshare expansion, the total number of traffic fatalities sank to 32,885 nationwide, the lowest number since 1949.
However, once Uber and Lyft began their aggressive expansion, the fatal accidents began to slowly rise once again. According to researchers at the University of Chicago, the arrival of ridesharing is associated with an increase of 2-3% in the number of motor vehicle fatalities and fatal accidents. Although this research paper is in the preliminary stages of publication, the findings will add to a growing list of research around ridesharing and the entire gig economy.
The study also shows that the introduction of ridesharing across the country, especially in metropolitan areas, leads to an economically meaningful increase in overall motor vehicle fatalities. This increase is consistent with acknowledged macro trends in motor vehicle crashes.
What To Do After a Rideshare Accident
If you were injured in an accident involving an Uber, Lyft, or any other rideshare company, it is important to take certain steps to protect your legal rights. Some of these steps include:
- Call 911 to report the accident and summon emergency help if someone is seriously injured.
- Take photos of the scene of accident.
- Talk to individuals who witnessed the accident and gather their contact information, including names, email addresses, and phone numbers.
- Record the driver’s name.
- Take a screenshot of the rideshare app and receipt on your phone – if you were a passenger in the rideshare vehicle at the time of the accident. Or note the information of the driver who was riding for the rideshare company.
- Get immediate medical attention, even if you believe you were not seriously injured. Symptoms of certain medical conditions may not surface until days or even weeks after the accident.
- Consider calling a Los Angeles rideshare accident attorney to help protect your legal rights and help you get the full compensation that you deserve.
Contact an Experienced Los Angeles Uber & Lyft Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in an accident while riding an Uber or Lyft, contact the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates. Our legal team specializes in handling these types of accidents. We have the experience to help you recover your lost wages, medical expenses and any other costs associated with your accident