Smoke Inhalation Injuries Are Serious!
Smoke inhalation is a serious, life-threatening injury that can occur after only a few minutes of exposure to fire. When you breathe in extremely hot air and the gases, vapors and particulate matter present in the smoke, the air passages in your lungs can swell and burn. The result can be serious and even fatal to your health. Younger children and elderly people are the most vulnerable to smoke inhalation.
Smoke inhalation symptoms may not appear for 24 to 48 hours after the fire. This can result in a delay in seeking medical help and treatment. The more seriously you are burned, the worse the smoke inhalation symptoms are likely to be. As such, it is imperative that you immediately get medical attention after being exposed to a fire, even if you feel fine.
Common Symptoms of Smoke Inhalation Injuries
Since the symptoms of smoke inhalation injury may not appear until later, it is important to be aware of the possible symptoms in advance. Smoke inhalation can cause several signs and symptoms that can range in severity. These include:
– Shortness of breath resulting from decrease of oxygen delivery to your blood
– Headache due to carbon monoxide poisoning
– Hoarseness or noisy breathing resulting from chemical irritation of your vocal chords or fluid collection in the upper airway causing a blockage
– Changes in the skin – skin can be pale and bluish due to lack of oxygen or bright red due to carbon monoxide poisoning
– Damage to the eyes
– Decreased alertness due to low oxygen levels
– Soot in the nose or throat as a result of swollen nostrils and nasal passages
– Chest pain due to irritated respiratory tract, low oxygen flow to the heart, or excessive coughing
If you notice any of these signs or symptoms, it is imperative that you immediately seek medical care and attention. Any delay in treatment can result in serious or life threatening injuries.
Contact an Experienced Los Angeles Smoke Inhalation Injury Lawyer
If you or a loved has suffered a smoke inhalation injury in an accident caused by the negligence or recklessness of another party, you should discuss your legal options with an attorney as you may be entitled to compensation.
The Los Angeles smoke injury attorneys at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas advocate for our clients’ full financial recovery through hard work and aggressive lawyering. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our attorneys, please call the Law Offices of Samer Habbas at 949-449-2703.