blog banner

auto insurance policyIf you were injured in an accident that was caused by the negligence actions of another party, you may be entitled to compensation. However, just because you are entitled to money damages does not necessarily mean that the liable party’s insurance carrier will hand you what you deserve on a silver platter. Insurance adjusters are trained to only care about the pockets of the insurance company, not about the injuries of the victims involved. As such, they typically make claimants jump through many hoops before they tender any money.

One common request made by insurance adjusters is for the claimant to provide a recorded statement about how the accident happened. If you decide to provide a recorded statement, you should know that anything you say can and most likely will be used against you. As such, to prevent jeopardizing your personal injury claim, you should first consult with an attorney.

The Request From a Third-Party Insurance Company

Although you may have no choice but to give a statement of how you perceived the accident happened, it does not always need to be recorded. If the police came to the scene of the accident and prepared a report, your Los Angeles accident attorney can push the insurance adjuster to accepting your statement to the police (as recorded in the report) to be sufficient. This is a good idea especially if the police report is in your favor.

However, if you have no choice but to provide a recorded statement, your attorney should come with you or be on the phone call so that he can object to any unnecessary or unrelated questions that may damage your claim.

When Your Own Insurance Company Wants a Recorded Statement

In some cases, especially those that are contested and have more than version of the truth, your own insurance company may request a recorded statement to determine fault. Whether you are required to give a recorded statement in order to receive compensation depends on the language in your insurance policy. Some policies may require recorded statements, but the majority only requires a statement without the need for it to be recorded.

The bottom line is that you should take all necessary steps to avoid a recorded statement. However, if you need to provide one, it should only be done in the presence of your Los Angeles accident attorney.

Call Us!

If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident caused by a negligent party, you may be entitled to compensation. As a family member of a loved one who died in an accident, you may also be entitled to compensation. To ensure you get the full money damages you deserve, you need to consult with and hire an Orange County accident attorney.

For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with an OC car accident lawyer, please call the Law Offices of Samer Habbas at (888) 848-5084.