According to a CNN article, the United States has one of the highest fatal car accident rates in the world. Although there has been a 31% reduction in car accident death rate per capital over the past 13 years, the decline is still more than 25% slower than the average in other countries in the same period.
For example, road death rates in Spain and Denmark have dropped 75.1% and 63.5%, respectively. If the United States had reduced its death rate at similar rates, there would have been more than 18,000 fewer fatalities on the roads.
The United States also ranked badly in other areas, including:
- Ranking first in accident deaths per 100,000 people and per 10,000 registered vehicles
- Ranking second highest, after Canada, in the percentage of deaths involving drunk driving.
- Ranking third lowest, after Austria and Belgium, in national front seat belt users among the 20 countries compared
Common Causes of Car Accidents in the United States
There are many different causes of car accidents. The most common causes are discussed below:
- Reckless driving – especially relating to speeding and the negligent disregard for posted speed limits
- Distracted driving – most distractions are caused by the use of cell phones, texting, checking email and changing the radio station
- Driver fatigue – driving while fatigued is very common
- Drunk driving – getting behind the wheel while under the influence of controlled substances can make a motorist more than nine times more likely to get into an accident
- Street defects – road defects, such as potholes and bad road design, can cause serious motor vehicle accidents
- Weather conditions – wet or icy conditions on the road pose a serious threat to drivers because it can reduce your vehicle’s contact with the road and impair your perception of road conditions
Getting Compensation After an Accident
If your motor vehicle accident was caused by the negligence or reckless actions of another party, you may be entitled to compensation. Depending on the specific facts of your case, an experienced Orange County car accident attorney can help you get compensation for:
- Past and future medical bills
- Loss of income and loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Loss of consortium
Call a Los Angeles Motor Vehicle Accident Attorney Today!
The legal team at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas is dedicated to helping our injured clients reach the best monetary settlement when they are involved in any type of accidents.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident, our experienced Car Accident Attorney Los Angeles are available to personally review your case. Call us at 1-888-848-5048 to schedule a free, complimentary consultation with our legal team today.
March 4, 2021
March 2, 2021
February 26, 2021
February 24, 2021
February 17, 2021