Tour Bus Crash in Merced County Kills 5
Tours are supposed to be a fun and enjoyable experience. You take a tour bus to enjoy the scenery and not have to worry about driving and accidents. However, this is not always the case – and it definitely was not the case after a charter tour bus crash in Merced County.
Early Tuesday morning, August 2, 2016, a charter bus crashed into a sign pole on northbound Highway 99 near Liberty Avenue in Livingston. The pole sliced through the bus about halfway through, killing at least five people. There were approximately 30 passengers on the bus, which was headed from Mexico, with stops in Los Angeles, Livingston, and Sacramento on the way to Washington State.
In addition to the five fatalities, six passengers suffered major injuries. They were lifted to nearby hospitals. At least 15 other passengers were also taken by ambulance to hospitals. The rest of the passengers who suffered minor injuries or were uninjured were taken to the Merced CHP office. The bus driver, Mario David Vasquez, also suffered major injuries in the crash.
What To Do After a Bus Crash
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bus accident, it is important for you to take certain steps to ensure your health, safety, and legal rights are well protected. Below are 5 important things to do after a major bus accident:
- Seek immediate medical assistant. If you or another person has suffered injuries, immediately seek medical attention. Even if you believe that you haven’t been injured, you should still go for a checkup because the symptoms of certain injuries may take a few days to surface.
- Obtain pertinent information. You need to obtain information from the bus and bus driver, including the driver’s drivers license, car registration information, contact information, and insurance documentation. You should also obtain the contact information for other passengers on the bus.
- Get evidence. This includes taking pictures with your cell phone of the bus and the road condition.
- Do not automatically accept the first estimate offer you get. Insurance adjusters have one goal – to settle claims as quickly and cheaply as possible. Therefore, jumping the gun and accepting a settlement too soon can be a costly mistake.
- Seek the legal assistance of a bus accident attorney. An Orange County bus accident attorney can protect your legal rights and help you obtain the full compensation that you deserve.
Call an Orange County Bus Accident Attorney Today!
The legal team at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas is dedicated to helping our injured clients reach the best monetary settlement when they are involved in any type of accidents.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bus accident, or any other accident, caused by the negligent or reckless actions of another party, our experienced Orange County bus accident attorneys are available to personally review your case. Call us at 1-888-848-5048 to schedule a free, complimentary consultation with our legal team today.