Types of Compensation Afforded Dog Bite Victims
Dogs are generally known as man’s best friend. They are cute, friendly and loyal. Dogs can be great companions for most of us. Unfortunately, this may not always be the case. Dog attacks are common in the United States. In fact, dog attacks cost approximately $2 billion in damages each year. The majority of dog attacks occur in the owner’s own house or around their neighborhoods.
Many people are reluctant to sue their friends or neighbors. Most don’t even understand the law as it relates to dogs in general. However, at the same time, serious dog attack injuries and medical bills must be addressed. As such, it is important that you understand that most dog attacks are covered by the owner’s homeowner’s insurance.
Common Types of Compensation for Dog Attack Victims
If a dog has attacked you or a loved one, you need to immediately consult with an experienced Orange County dog bite attorney who specifically handles these types of cases. With an aggressive attorney on your side, there is a greater likelihood that you will obtain the full compensation that you deserve.
Common types of compensation that is typically afforded a dog bite victim include:
- Past and future medical bills. Treating serious dog bite injuries can be expensive. Victims may need extensive medical care that may last a lifetime. Compensation may include future therapy, hospital bills, surgical procedures.
- Lost wages and employment. Serious injuries often mean the inability to go to work – sometimes forever. Loss of wages or loss of future earning capacity can wreak financial havoc on a dog bite victim’s life.
- Pain and suffering. Dog bite victims can suffer serious pain and suffering as a result of the attack.
- Loss of consortium. Compensation for loss of consortium includes love, affection, and other issues.
- Punitive Damages. In extraordinary cases, if your attorney can prove that the dog owner “sicked” his dog on you, it may qualify as an intentional act. Compensation in these circumstances can be awarded beyond the standard general damages, in order to punish the perpetrator.
Call an Orange County Dog Bite Attorney Today!
The legal team at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas is dedicated to helping our injured clients reach the best monetary settlement when they are involved in any type of accidents.
If you or a loved one has been attacked or bitten by a dog, our experienced Orange County dog bite attorneys are available to personally review your case. Call us at 1-888-848-5048 to schedule a free, complimentary consultation with our legal team today.