blog banner

Personal injury attorney lawyerDo you know the difference between uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance claims? If you’re like the average insured, you most likely don’t know the difference. The similarities between these two claims make it confusing to keep one from the other straight. Here are the basic differences between uninsured and underinsured car insurance claims:

  • In an uninsured motorist claim, the negligent party failed to observe the mandatory auto insurance laws, drove a vehicle without insurance and did not have any insurance coverage to compensate accident victims for the property damage and bodily injuries sustained as a result of their negligence. Many hit-and-run drivers flee the scene the accident scene because there will be civil and criminal penalties assessed against them.
  • In an underinsured motorist claim, the negligent party does have automobile insurance, but does not have enough coverage to compensate accident victims fully for the injuries or property damage they caused.

The majority of states require that drivers purchase auto insurance with a minimum amount of liability coverage. However, the minimum liability coverage is often insufficient to compensate accident victims for lost wages, property damage, medical and rehabilitative expenses and other accident-related costs. As a result, accident victims then must turn to their own insurance carrier for compensation if they have purchased uninsured and/or underinsured coverage.

If an uninsured or underinsured driver has injured you or someone you care for, it is advisable that you speak with a California personal injury attorney like Samer Habbas. He will be able to review your situation and explain your options for pursuing a remedy so that you can make an informed decision as to the appropriate course of action.