- June 8, 2016
- In medical Malpractice,news
A Pasadena Public Health Department investigation report was released earlier this month revealing that 16 patients at Huntington Hospital were infected with the “superbug” following procedures with tainted Olympus medical scopes between January 2013 and August 2015. Health officials reported that 11 of those 16 patients have died, with only one death certificate listing the scope-related bacteria as the cause of death. The hospital had previously reported that only three patients were infected in the outbreak that officials said was limited to the middle of 2015.
The investigation report blamed both design of the scope and the hospital for lapses in infection control. Investigators further reported that Huntington Hospital had been using canned compressed air from Office Depot to dry the scopes. This procedure is not recommended by the manufacturer or by cleaning guidelines.
This incident is only one of many cases where the negligent actions of hospitals, and other healthcare professionals, result in further injury to patients who have entrusted their care in these professionals.
What Are My Rights?
If you or a loved one has been injured while receiving medical treatment in a hospital, you may have a medical malpractice claim against the hospital. You may hold a hospital liable if one of the following situations is applicable:
- Hospital was negligent. You may have a claim against the hospital on the basis that the hospital acted in a negligent manner.
- Hospital is responsible for the conduct of the health care provider. The hospital can be sued under the doctrine of respondeat superior for any negligent actions of its employees or other individuals under the direction of the employer who acted in a negligent manner.
Common causes for liability include:
- Administration of the wrong type of medication or dosage by the hospital nurse or medical technician
- Failure of a hospital employee to follow the treating physician’s instructions regarding the care of a patient
- Failure to properly treat or dress the wounds of a patient, who later develops an infection
- Anesthesiologist administering a drug that he or she should have known would cause issues
- Misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis of a medical condition due to a mistake
Contact an Experienced Los Angeles Medical Malpractice Lawyer
At the Law Offices of Samer Habbas, our Los Angeles medical malpractice attorneys are experienced in handling all types of medical negligence cases, especially those involving the negligence of hospitals, and getting our clients the compensation they deserve. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our lawyers, please call us at 888.848.5084.
June 7, 2023
“Fighting for Justice: A Conversation with Personal Injury Attorney Samer Habbas on the Love Thy Lawyer Podcast”May 25, 2023
May 15, 2023
May 8, 2023
May 5, 2023