In major California cities, such as Los Angeles, taking taxis is a popular mode of transportation. Over the past few years, traditional yellow cabs are not the only form of “taxi” that you can take to get to your destination. Many alternative forms have come about, including Uber and Lyft. Regardless of which type of taxicab you hire for pay to take you from one part of the city to the other, the driver and the taxi company may be liable if they get into an accident while giving you a ride.
If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries in a taxi cab accident through no fault of your own, you need to hire an experienced Los Angeles taxi accident attorney to handle your case and get you the full extent of the compensation that you deserve.
The attorneys at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas are dedicated to protecting your legal rights and working hard to get you the damages that you are entitled to. We defend injury victims throughout Southern California in Los Angeles, Orange County, Riverside, San Bernardino and San Diego.
Taxi Company Liability and Insurance Coverage
Under California law, taxi cab companies must posses a No Fault insurance policy coverage. This means that if you are a passenger in a taxi and involved in an accident that caused you injuries, the taxi company will be responsible and must compensate you for your property damage and bodily injuries.
However, just because the taxi cab company has insurance, it does not mean that the insurance company will easily hand over the money to accident victims who were injured by their insured. To ensure that you obtain the full compensation that you deserve, you should consult with an attorney who specifically handles these types of accidents. Our legal team knows what it takes to help get our taxi accident victims the compensation they deserve after an accident.
Types of Compensation Available
Under California law, victims of motor vehicle accidents, including taxi cab accidents, are entitled to full compensation for all damages, economic and non-economic, resulting from the accident. Common types of compensation available, depending on the specific facts of the accident include:
- Medical expenses
- Future medical and rehabilitation costs
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and mental anguish
- Loss of wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Any other expenses related to the accident
At the Law Offices of Samer Habbas, our legal team makes a strong effort in investigating the specific facts of your case to determine what types of compensation you are entitled to.
Important Steps to Take After a Taxi Cab Accident
The immediate steps you take after a taxi related accident could significantly impact your ability to obtain compensation in a personal injury claim, especially if you are seriously injured. Our attorneys advise clients to consider the following important steps in the immediate aftermath of a taxi related accident:
- Call 911. If you or someone else is seriously injured, you should call 911 to send an emergency responder to the scene of the accident. You should also ask the police to come to prepare a police report as soon as possible after the accident.
- Seek medical care. Even if you feel fine, it is still important to seek immediate medical attention. Symptoms of certain medical conditions may not appear until days or weeks after your accident. You should also obtain copies of your medical records.
- Collect important information. Get all pertinent information for the taxi driver, including his full name, license number and phone number. You should also get the license plate number and registration number of the taxicab.
- Get information of witnesses. Obtain pertinent information for any witnesses to the scene of the accident.
- Document the scene. If possible, you should take pictures of the scene of the accident, including pictures of the property damage to the taxicab.
- Consult with an attorney. In many cases, insurance carriers offer unfair settlements, especially if the claimant is not represented by an attorney. To avoid this and to ensure that you obtain the full extent of the compensation that you deserve, you should consult with an experienced taxicab attorney as soon as possible.
The Law Offices of Samer Habbas dedicates its practice to representing injury victims throughout Southern California.
Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit after a Taxi Accident
Filing a personal injury claim in a taxi cab accident is similar to a regular car accident. However, the specifics of the claim depend on the category of your accident. For example, if you were in another car when hit by a taxi cab, you will file a claim against the taxi’s insurance company. However, if you were a passenger in the taxi when involved in an accident, you will file a claim with the insurers of all the negligent motorists involved in the accident.
Taxi accidents are often more complicated than regular car accident claims because they involve multiple at-fault parties and passengers who are injured. If you are not the only victim injured in the accident, it may be more difficult to obtain the full compensation that you deserve. This is why it is important to have a strong legal advocate on your side, fighting for your rights and ensuring that you obtain the money damages that you deserve.
Injured In a Taxicab Accident? Call Us Today!
If you or someone you love has been injured in a taxicab related accident, you should immediately consult with an experienced attorney as you may be entitled to compensation. At the Law Offices of Samer Habbas, we are aggressive in helping our clients obtain full compensation for their past and future medical bills, loss of wages, loss of earning capacity, pain and suffering, and any other expenses they may be entitled to for the injuries they have sustained as a result of the accident. Call our experienced injury attorneys today for a free case review at 949.565.2974.