Orange County Taxi Accident Attorney
Whether you were a passenger in a taxi cab that was involved in a crash or a motorist, bicyclist, or pedestrian hit by a taxi, you have certain legal rights and may be entitled to compensation for your resulting injuries. Fortunately, by hiring an experienced Orange County taxi accident attorney, you can focus on your recovery while your lawyer works diligently to recover the compensation you deserve.
The Orange County taxi accident attorney at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas will thoroughly investigate the cause of your taxi accident to hold all liable parties responsible. With multiple offices located in Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo, San Diego, and Riverside, our lawyers represent taxi accident victims all across Southern California. For more information or to schedule a free consultation, please call 949-727-9300.
Fault in Taxi Cab Accidents
In most accidents involving taxis, the driver of the cab is liable in some way for the accident. He or she could have been driving distracted, driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or making poor driving decisions like running a stop sign or failing to yield at a crosswalk.
Regardless of what the cause of the accident was, taxi drivers have a duty to ensure the safety of passengers in their cab and those sharing the roadways. When they fail to meet this obligation, they should be held financially liable.
It is important to note that the cab company may also have culpability for your injuries if it, for instance, failed to properly maintain the safety of the vehicle, hired unskilled drivers or drivers who have a history of traffic violations, or overscheduled employees resulting in fatigued driving.
Holding Taxi Cab Drivers and Companies to a Higher Standard
California law categorizes taxis in the same way as trains and buses. This category is commonly referred to as common carriers. This law subjects taxi owners and their drivers to a higher degree of accountability for the safety of all passengers. This includes operating the taxis in a reasonably safe and responsible manner.
If you are injured in a taxi cab accident, it is important that you protect your legal rights to compensation from the start. The taxi cab accident attorney at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas have the experience, knowledge, and resources necessary to successfully obtain injured taxi accident victims to the full extent of the compensation that they deserve.
What to do After a Taxi Accident
The immediate aftermath of any motor vehicle accident can be stressful and fraught with anxiety for victims. You may have hundreds of questions during this nerve-wracking time, but there are a few crucial steps you can take to ensure your legal rights are protected.
Below are some important things you should do in the aftermath of a taxi accident:
- Get the driver’s license number and insurance information for all parties involved in the crash.
- Obtain the taxi driver’s name, taxi registration number, and the contact information for the taxi cab company.
- Take detailed pictures of the scene of the accident, including property damage to all vehicles involved.
- Get the contact information for any witnesses to the accident.
- Call the police to file a report.
- Seek immediate medical attention, even if you think you are not seriously injured – symptoms of certain injuries may not surface until days or weeks after the crash.
- Set up a consultation with an Orange County taxi accident attorney to review your case and explain your rights and determine liability.
Filing a Personal Injury Claim in a Taxi Accident
Filing a personal injury claim in a taxi cab accident is similar to a regular car accident. However, the specifics of the claim depend on the category of your accident. For example, if you were in another car when hit by a taxi cab, you need to file a claim against the taxi’s insurance company. However, if you were a passenger in the taxi when involved in an accident, you need to file a claim with the insurers of each of the negligent motorists involved in the accident.
Taxi accidents are generally more complicated than regular car accident claims because they involve multiple at-fault parties and passengers who are injured. If you are not the only victim injured in the accident, it may be more difficult to obtain the full compensation that you deserve. This is why it is important to have a strong legal advocate on your side, fighting for your rights and ensuring that you obtain the money damages that you deserve.
Types of Compensation Available
Victims of motor vehicle accidents, including taxi cab accidents, are entitled to full compensation for all damages, economic and non-economic, resulting from the accident. Common types of compensation available, depending on the specific facts of the accident include:
- Medical expenses
- Future medical and rehabilitation costs
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and mental anguish
- Loss of wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Any other expenses related to the accident
At the Law Offices of Samer Habbas, our Orange County Taxi Accident Attorney make a strong effort in investigating the specific facts of your case to determine what types of compensation you are entitled to.
Frequently Asked Taxi Accident Questions
- What are my rights as a passenger in a taxi accident? — Passengers injured in a rideshare vehicle have the same rights as passengers injured in any other motor vehicle accident. As a passenger, you would file a third-party insurance claim against one or both drivers, depending on liability.
- What are the common causes of taxi accidents? — In some cases, the taxi driver is at fault for the collision, while at other times the accident is caused by other aspects. The most common causes of taxi accidents include aggressive/reckless driving, driving while drowsy, drunk driving, distracted driving, and many other factors. (Read more.)
- What duties do cab drivers owe passengers? — A “common carrier” vehicle is recognized as an entity that transports passengers or goods from one destination to another, at a cost or fee. Under California law, common carriers must “use the utmost care and diligence for their safe carriage, must provide everything necessary for that purpose, and must exercise to that end a reasonable degree of skill”. Failure to do so may result in serious injuries. (Read more.)
Hire an Experienced Orange County Taxi Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has suffered a taxi cab accident injury, contact the Law Offices of Samer Habbas. Our skillful Orange County lawyers specialize in handling taxi accident cases and have the experience to help you recover all costs associated with your claim. We will aggressively pursue your case to ensure that you are rightfully compensated for your injuries.
The Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates is dedicated to helping victims receive the best compensation for their injustice. With multiple offices located in Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo, San Diego, and Riverside, our lawyers represent taxi accident victims all across Southern California. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our experienced attorneys, please call 949-727-9300.