Orange County Bicycle Accident Attorney
California is home to great weather and traffic – the perfect combination to make bicycles a preferred mode of transportation. Cycling is also a great way to burn calories while enjoying the beautiful weather. However, even though California may provide the perfect weather for bike rides, motorists and bicyclists don’t always share the road “in peace.” Bicycle accidents are a common occurrence. Most of these accidents are caused by motorists who simply do not see the bicyclists when they are in intersections or in the traffic lane.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident that was caused by the recklessness or negligence of another party, you may be entitled to monetary compensation. The Irvine accident attorneys at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates can help you hold the responsible parties accountable for their negligence and help you obtain the full damages that you deserve. With multiple offices located in Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo, San Diego, and Riverside, our lawyers represent bike accident victims across all of Southern California. To schedule a free consultation with one of our accident attorneys, call 949-727-9300.
Common Auto v. Bicycle Accidents
Below are some common accident scenarios involving bicycles and motor vehicles:
- The left hand turn: It is common for motorists not to see bicyclists when making a left turn. This can result in a serious collision, causing significant injuries to the bicyclist.
- The open door accident: Motorists and their passengers are often not vigilant when opening their doors, especially in and around bike lanes.
- Unexpected backing up: Backing up requires the motorist to carefully look in all directions and for everyone on the road. However, bicycles are often overlooked because of their smaller size.
- Merging or changing lanes: Cars and trucks constantly attempt to change lanes or directions of travel without looking out for or failing to notice that they are sharing the road with bicyclists.
- Intersection accidents: Most bicycle v. auto accidents happen in and around intersections when the motor vehicle attempts to cross through the crosswalk without looking out for bicycles on the road.
Regardless of what type of bicycle accident you were injured in, it is important to consult with an experienced Orange County attorney to protect your legal rights. The bicycle accident lawyers at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas have successfully represented numerous bicycle accident victims. They will fight for your rights and work hard to obtain the full compensation that you deserve.
Serious Injuries Caused by Bicycle Accidents
Using bicycle lanes and protective equipment, such as helmets, can potentially reduce the severity of accident-related injuries. However, when a bicyclist is involved in a collision with a motor vehicle, the massive size discrepancy will invariably cause serious injuries to the bicyclist who does not have the same safety support as the motorist.
Bicyclists involved in car accidents will commonly experience:
- Brain Injuries and other head trauma
- Leg injuries, including torn ligaments
- Amputation injuries (severed fingers, toes, partial or total limb loss)
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Neck and lower back injuries
- Facial lacerations resulting in permanent disfiguration and/or scarring
Children and Bicycle Crashes
Children enjoy riding their bikes just as much as adults. Just like adults, they are also susceptible to getting into serious accidents and suffering tragic injuries. Although wearing a bicycle helmet reduces the incidence of head injuries in bicycle accidents, especially those involving children, they do not fully eliminate the possibility of a brain injury.
Below are some important tips our aggressive, yet compassionate, bicycle accident attorneys recommend for children and adult bicycle riders:
- Make sure your child understands and exercises proper riding and safety protocols.
- Avoid riding a bicycle at night; but if you must, wear light-reflective materials and install a tail light and headlamp to increase visibility.
- Always wear a securely fitted helmet.
- Be on the lookout for traffic issues ahead.
- Use proper hand signals when riding on the street.
- Use bike lanes, bicycle paths, and striped lanes and signed routes.
The Right Legal Representation to Get the Best Compensation
Taking the right safety precautions can help you avoid most, but not all accidents while riding your bicycle. If you or your loved one have been injured in a motor vehicle crash while riding a bicycle, you may be entitled to compensation. Law Offices of Samer Habbas’ experienced legal team can help you get the full compensation that you deserve for the injuries you have suffered.
Depending on the specific facts of your case, you may be entitled to compensation for:
- Past and future medical bills.
- Loss of income.
- Loss of future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering.
- Loss of consortium.
- Emotional and mental suffering.
- Out of pocket expenses related to the accident.
Frequently Asked Bicycle Accident Questions
- What is a “car dooring” accident, and is it illegal? — “Car dooring,” also known as “dooring”, is one of the most common types of bicycle accidents. This accident occurs when a cyclist collides into a car door that was opened too quickly without checking the surrounding area for bicyclists. In California, dooring accidents are covered under Vehicle Code 22517 which states, “No person shall open the door of a vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless it is reasonably safe to do so…” (Read more.)
- How do I recover damages for my bicycle accident? — Bicycles lack basic safety features like seatbelts and airbags. The absence of these features significantly increases the risk of catastrophic injuries, especially in an accident involving a motor vehicle. Unfortunately, most drivers believe that because the victim is a bicyclist, they can dodge liability. That’s why to help prove their negligence, it is best to hire an experienced bicycle accident attorney. (Read more.)
- How long do I have to file a claim after a bicycle accident? — You have two years from the date of the bicycle accident to file a claim. However, it is strongly advised that you file your accident claim as soon as possible. As time goes on, exact details of the accident may be harder to prove and statements from the other parties involved, or any witnesses may be less precise. (Read more.)
Contact a Top Rated Bicycle Accident Attorney!
If you or a loved one have been injured in a bicycle accident caused by the negligence of another party, you should discuss your legal options with an expert accident attorney. The bicycle accident attorneys at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates have the experience, resources, and compassion to ensure that you will obtain the best representation when you need it the most. With multiple offices located in Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo, San Diego, and Riverside, our lawyers represent bicycle accident victims across Southern California.
For more information or to schedule a FREE consultation with one of the attorneys, call 949-727-9300.