Orange County Pedestrian Accident Attorney
You don’t have to be behind the wheel to suffer from another motorist’s poor or reckless driving. Every year, more than 5,000 pedestrians are killed in car accidents; a pedestrian includes anyone on foot. When a pedestrian is struck by a vehicle, the results can be devastating and even fatal.
If you or a loved one has been injured as a pedestrian by a motor vehicle, you may be entitled to compensation. To protect your legal rights and hold the liable parties responsible for their negligent and reckless actions, you need to immediately contact an Orange County pedestrian accident attorney who specifically handles these types of cases. The lawyers at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates are dedicated to providing pedestrian victims the assistance they need to get the full compensation that they deserve. With multiple offices located in Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo, San Diego, and Riverside, our lawyers represent injured pedestrians across Southern California. To schedule a free consultation with one of our accident attorneys, call 949-727-9300.
A Sharp Increase in Pedestrian Accidents
In recent years, the number of pedestrian injuries and fatalities has sharply risen nationwide. According to the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA), from 2008 to 2017, the number of pedestrian fatalities increased by 35% (from 4,414 deaths in 2008 to 5,977 deaths in 2017).
Meanwhile, the combined number of all traffic deaths declined by six percent. Along with the increase in the number of pedestrian fatalities, pedestrian deaths as a percentage of total motor vehicle crash deaths increased from 12% in 2007 to 16% in 2017.
Crosswalk Accident Injuries
The average hybrid 4-door car weighs just under 3,000 pounds, which is also the average weight of a wrecking ball used to demolish large buildings. At 20 miles per hour, the average hybrid car is moving faster than a wrecking ball and therefore has more energy to deliver to a target, especially if that target is an innocent pedestrian.
When a pedestrian is injured in a motor vehicle accident, the resulting injuries can be catastrophic. Common injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries and other types of head injuries
- Broken or fractured bones
- Spinal cord injuries, such as partial or complete paralysis
- Back and neck injuries
- Neurological injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Scars and abrasions
Regardless of what type of injuries you or your loved one has suffered in a pedestrian-related accident, you should consult with an experienced California pedestrian accident attorneys to help you get the full compensation that you deserve.
The Costs of a Pedestrian Accident
Pedestrian accidents can be very costly to victims and their family members. The resulting serious injuries can be expensive to treat. There are hospital bills, doctor bills, rehabilitation treatments, and at-home care.
However, the costs of a pedestrian accident are not limited to medical expenses. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), over 80% of the costs of a pedestrian accident result from loss of income due to decreased productivity, lost wages, and other non-medical factors.
The experienced crosswalk accident lawyers at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas are dedicated to getting victims of pedestrian accidents the maximum monetary damages that they deserve. Our California pedestrian accident attorneys will work hard to get you the compensation that you are entitled to depending on the specific facts of your case, such as:
- Past and future medical costs
- Loss of income
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Out of pocket expense related to the accident
Common Types of Vehicle v. Pedestrian Accidents
Some common types of scenarios and causes of pedestrian injury accidents include:
- Careless drivers that fail to properly observe the roadway for pedestrians
- Distracted drivers, whether from texting, eating or doing other non-driving activities
- Drowsy or fatigued drivers, especially of buses and commercial trucks
- Speeding drivers
- Rolling through stop signs or red lights when making right turns
- Trucks that cut off the corner when making a turn
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Defective roadway design, maintenance, or repair
- Poor or inadequate lighting
- Lack of proper signage
- Hidden or obscured cross-walks
Important Steps to Take After a Pedestrian Accident in a Crosswalk
Unfortunately, motor vehicle versus pedestrian accidents generally results in severe accidents to the pedestrian, making the immediate aftermath of a collision scary and overwhelming. Below are some tips to help you in the event of a pedestrian accident:
- Call 911 to report the accident to the police.
- If possible, try to remain as still as possible after getting hit because any movement can create additional injury, especially to your neck and back.
- Seek immediate medical attention – if necessary, call for an ambulance; or go see your doctor as soon as possible.
- Get the contact information of all parties involved in the accident.
- Gather the contact information for any witnesses to the accident.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident, if possible.
- Do not give any statements to any insurance representatives.
- Contact an experienced pedestrian accident attorney to protect your legal rights.
Frequently Asked Pedestrian Accident Questions
- What if I was illegally crossing when I was hit by a car? Do I still have a case? — Everyone must obey basic traffic safety laws. However, even if the pedestrian was found to be partially at-fault, the driver who hit them still had a duty to be vigilant for pedestrians. It is best to hire an experienced pedestrian accident attorney who can further investigate and determine on what grounds the driver is held responsible. (Read more.)
- As a pedestrian, what duty is placed upon me to avoid accidents? — Pedestrians are not above the law of basic traffic safety regulations. If a pedestrian fails to follow traffic laws at the time of the accident, they will be held partially at fault. This means any damages the pedestrian could recover from the driver may be lowered.
- Who is at fault for my pedestrian accident besides the driver who hit me? — Some pedestrian accidents can occur due to the layout of the roadways or faulty traffic controls. In this case, the local municipality (or city) can be held responsible. To determine if the city is at-fault for your pedestrian accident, you should consult with an experienced Orange County crosswalk accident attorney. (Read more.)
Contact an Experienced Orange County Pedestrian Accident Attorney!
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident in a crosswalk, contact the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates. Their lawyers specialize in helping victims of pedestrian injury accidents to obtain the fair compensation they deserve for their injuries. With multiple offices located in Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo, San Diego, and Riverside, our lawyers represent pedestrian accident victims across Southern California. To schedule a free consultation with one of our accident attorneys, call 949-727-9300.