Los Angeles Bus Accident Attorney
Bus accidents don’t happen every day, but when they do, they can result in significant injuries to the victims. There are many types of buses on the road, including school buses, municipal transit buses, tour buses, and more. Each serves a specific purpose, but all are intended to transport a large amount of people at once. Any accident involving a bus can be serious. The sheer size and speed of a bus, coupled with the amount of passengers who ride the bus, places commuters and bystanders at a great risk.
Like all large vehicle accidents, a bus accident has the potential to cause serious injuries to the driver and passengers on the bus. If you or a loved one was injured in a bus accident, you should immediately consult the experienced Los Angeles bus accident attorneys at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas to protect your legal rights. With multiple offices located in Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo, San Diego and Riverside, our lawyers represent victims of rear-end accidents across Southern California. Our legal team will aggressively fight for the settlement that you deserve and will help you get through this difficult period. For more information or to schedule a free consultation, please call 949-727-9300.
Buses are Common Carriers
The law recognizes buses as common carriers. The legal definition of a common carrier is any sort of vehicle transport that is offered to anyone who pays the necessary fare. Private bus carriers only transport select groups of people and are not open to the public to use, such as a tour bus. Public bus services are generally based on regular operation of transit buses along a route calling at agreed bus stops according to a published transport timetable.
The private versus public difference comes into play in an accident to determine who should be held liable for the victims’ resulting injuries. For instance, if you are injured in an accident involving a public bus transport, then the government agency responsible for that bus should be held accountable for your injuries.
Depending on what type of bus you were injured by, you will have different time frames during which you can file your personal injury claim. If you fail to file your claim during this time period, known as the statute of limitations, you will be forever barred from bringing any claim for compensation. As such, it is imperative that you immediately seek consultation with a Los Angeles bus accident attorney who specifically handles these types of accidents.
The Costs of Bus Accidents
The Los Angeles bus accident lawyers at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas focus on helping bus accident victims recover the full extent of the costs associated with an accident involving a school bus, transit bus, commercial charter bus, or any other type of bus. A bus accident victim can suffer serious personal injuries, resulting in significant financial hardships that can impact all aspects of his or her life.
Depending on the specific facts of your case, you may be entitled to compensation for the following:
- Past and future medical bills.
- Loss of wages.
- Loss of future earning capacity.
- Loss of benefits.
- Pain and suffering.
- Loss of consortium.
- Emotional and mental trauma.
- Funeral expenses.
Common Causes of Bus Accidents
Many different factors can play a role in the cause of bus accidents. The most common include:
- Driver inattention.
- Driver intoxication of alcohol or other controlled substances.
- Poor bus maintenance.
- Poor training of bus drivers.
Finding the cause of your bus accident is critical to the outcome of your personal injury claim and the ultimate compensation that you receive. It takes an experienced Los Angeles bus accident attorney, like those at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas, to know what to look for when doing a successful bus accident investigation.
Common Bus Accident Injuries
Any motor vehicle accident is likely to cause personal injury. However, the massive size of a bus and the lack of safety gear, such as airbags and seatbelts, can cause bus accident victims to suffer serious injuries that will forever impact the victims’ lives.
Some common bus accident injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken or fractured bones
- Traumatic amputations
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck and back injuries
Frequently Asked Bus Accident Questions
- What is a “common carrier” vehicle and what are their responsibilities? — A “common carrier” vehicle is recognized as an entity that transports passengers or goods from one destination to another, at a cost or fee. Vehicles like public transit buses, commercial airplanes, taxicabs or rideshare vehicles, and cruise ships. Under California law, common carriers must “use the utmost care and diligence for their safe carriage, must provide everything necessary for that purpose, and must exercise to that end a reasonable degree of skill”. Failure to do so may result in serious injuries.
- Do I have special protection as a passenger on a bus? — Yes, as a passenger on a bus you have special protection under California law, regarding the responsibilities that common carrier vehicles have to you.
- How long do I have to file a bus accident claim? — The statute of limitations to sue for a bus accident depends on who owns the bus. If the bus in question was a public transit, meaning government owned, then the claimant has six months from the date of the accident to file suit. To find out the statute of limitations for your bus accident, contact an experienced bus accident attorney.
Contact a Top Rated Los Angeles Bus Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bus accident, contact the Los Angeles attorney at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas. We specialize in handling bus accident injury cases. We have the experience to help you recover your lost wages, medical expenses and any other costs related to your bus accident injury.
The Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates is dedicated to helping victims receive the best compensation for their injustice. With multiple offices located in Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo, San Diego and Riverside, our lawyers represent victims of rear-end accidents across Southern California. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our experienced attorneys, please call 949-727-9300.