Wrongful Death Orange County Attorney
Losing a loved one is very hard. Losing a loved one as a result of the negligent or reckless actions of another person is simply unbearable. There is no amount of monetary compensation that can bring back your loved one. However, filing a wrongful death action can help you and your family get the closure that you need to deal with the pain of the untimely loss of a loved one.
If you have lost a loved one due to the negligent actions of another party, you may be entitled to file a wrongful death claim. The Orange County wrongful death attorneys at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas understand how hard the wrongful death of a loved one can be. Our compassionate lawyers will help you and your family members get the full justice and compensation that you deserve. With multiple offices located in Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo, San Diego, and Riverside, our lawyers represent wrongful death suits across Southern California. For more information or to schedule a free consultation, please call 949-727-9300.
What is a Wrongful Death Claim?
The unexpected death of a loved one is a devastating event that no one prepares for. The emotional toll of such a tragedy can be much harder to bear when another person or entity is to blame for your loss.
When a person dies due to the wrongful or negligent actions of another individual, it is called a wrongful death. The close family members of the deceased may bring a wrongful death claim against the responsible party for damages.
Wrongful death can occur for various reasons, including:
- Medical malpractice
- Vehicle or truck accidents
- Criminal attacks
- Work-related exposure to dangerous conditions or substances
- Death during a supervised activity
- Construction accidents
If you have untimely lost a loved one, it is important to consult with a wrongful death lawyer as soon as possible to ensure that the wrongful death statute of limitations does not expire.
Compensation in Wrongful Death Claims
No death ever occurs in a vacuum. Someone is always left behind to grieve; whether that person is a spouse, a parent, or a child. Wrongful death suits acknowledge the financial and emotional support that the deceased offered to his or her loved ones. The purpose of the suit is to seek damages from the defendant to assuage that loss.
Generally, wrongful death claims allow monetary compensation for:
- Funeral and medical expenses
- Loss of a parent’s guidance and training
- Loss of financial support
- Loss of services typically provided by the deceased
- Considerable pain and suffering by the deceased, etc
Qualities to Look for When Hiring a Wrongful Death Lawyer
Wrongful death claims can be high-value cases and can also be legally complicated because they involve complex areas of law. The best way for survivors to succeed in their claim and obtain the full compensation they are owed under the law is to retain an experienced Irvine attorney who specifically handles wrongful death claims.
A good wrongful death lawyer will have the following qualities:
- Applicable experience. You should look for a law firm that has the experience to handle cases like yours. For instance, if your loved one died in a drunk driving crash, you need to hire an attorney who has experience handling fatal accidents.
- Compassion and empathy. If you lost a loved one in an accident, you are no doubt grieving and extremely vulnerable. You should not have to worry about someone taking advantage of your position. By hiring an attorney who is compassionate and sympathetic to your circumstances, you can be confident that your case is being properly handled while you are getting the attention you need personally during this difficult time.
- Relevant resources. Wrongful death claims are generally complicated and can be costly to successfully litigate. As such, you need to hire a lawyer and law firm that has both the legal and financial resources to handle your claim and get you the full compensation that you deserve.
- Solid reputation. When hiring an attorney, especially for a wrongful death claim, you need to make sure he has a good reputation in the community, as well as in the legal field.
- Trial experience. While some wrongful death cases are settled out of court, most go to trial. You want a seasoned wrongful death attorney with litigation experience to represent your interests.
Frequently Asked Wrongful Death Questions
- What is the “Discovery Rule” in a wrongful death case? — A rule, generally referred to as the “discovery rule,” may be applied in wrongful death actions to determine whether the decedent knew or should have known the cause of the illness or injury before their death, so as to start the running of the limitations period in the wrongful death claim before the decedent’s death. (Read more.)
- When does a death become a wrongful death? — California law considers a death wrongful when an individual or company causes death as a result of their negligent or reckless action. (Read more.)
- What are the types of wrongful death “damages”? — As the deceased’s decedent, you may be able to retrieve compensation for the following: medical and funeral expenses, loss of the victim’s expected earnings, pain and suffering, loss of an inheritance caused by the untimely death, and other potential damages. (Read more.)
Hire a Top-Rated Wrongful Death Attorney
If you have lost a loved one in a wrongful death incident, contact the Orange County lawyers at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates. You may be entitled to a fair settlement! Our experienced and compassionate Irvine attorneys will work hard to get you the full extent of the compensation that you deserve.
The Orange County lawyers at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas help the survivors of victims receive just compensation for their tragic losses. With multiple offices located in Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo, San Diego, and Riverside, our lawyers represent wrongful death claims across Southern California. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our experienced attorneys, please call 949-727-9300.