Orange County Boat Accident Lawyer
California benefits from pleasant weather almost year-round. Moreover, there are many nearby waterways where recreational boats are allowed to ride and soak up the sun, including the Pacific Ocean, nearby bays, lakes, and rivers. These factors attract people from all over the world to California’s waterways. However, with the increase in boat activity comes an increase in boating accidents and the resulting tragic injuries and death.
If you or a loved one was injured in a boating or water-related recreational activity accident that was caused by the negligent actions of another party, you may be entitled to compensation. The experienced Orange County boat accident lawyer at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas will fight for the settlement that you deserve. With multiple offices located in Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo, San Diego, and Riverside, our lawyers represent boat accident victims across Southern California. To schedule a free consultation with one of our accident attorneys, call 949-727-9300.
Boat Owners’ Responsibility
Under California laws, boat owners are responsible for ensuring that passengers are safe at all times. They have a duty to safely operate the boat and act with reasonable care not to cause injury to passengers or other boaters. A boat owner who breaches this duty of care can be held liable for any resulting accident and injury.
The Common Causes of Boating Accidents
According to the United States Coast Guard, there are more than 12 million recreational vessels registered in the United States. Since boating is a form of recreation for most individuals, they tend to be more careless than when operating motor vehicles. In fact, the USCG reports that one of the top five contributing factors in boating accidents is the personal negligence of the operator.
Boating accidents can include any of the following watercraft:
- Personal watercraft (Jetskis, Sea-Doo, WaveRunner, etc.)
- Cruise boats and ships
- Commercial freighters
- Boat or other watercraft versus a swimmer
Boat and watercraft accidents generally happen as a result of operator inattention or negligence, but can also result from other things, including:
- Improper driver behavior, including unsafe behavior by skiers
- Careless boating
- Improper passenger behavior, including unsafe behavior by skiers
- Excessive speed
- Use of drugs, alcohol, or other controlled substances
- Design, manufacture, and/or maintenance of the boat, its component, or its safety devices.
Regardless of what caused your boating accident, it can nevertheless leave you seriously injured. Having an attorney who is experienced specifically in handling boating accidents can help you get the full compensation that you deserve. The Orange County Boat Accident lawyer at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates has the knowledge and skills to expertly handle your boating accident and help you hold the liable parties responsible for your damages.
Boating Injury Accidents
Watercraft and boating accidents cause approximately $50 million in property damage each year, in addition to the loss of innocent lives and serious injuries to unsuspecting victims. When a boat or personal watercraft collides with another vessel or fixed object, the likelihood of severe injury is very high. Common boating accident injuries include:
- Drowning or near-drowning
- Traumatic amputations
- Brain injuries
- Spine and back injuries
- Loss of vision
- Neck and back injuries
- Fractured and broken bones
- Torn ligaments
- Crush injuries (especially to hands and feet)
- Wrongful death
Although the medical services required for treating serious injuries are expensive, healthcare costs account for only a fraction of the total costs of a boating or watercraft accident. Victims can also incur a loss of wages, property damage, and pain and suffering. At the Law Offices of Samer Habbas, skillful Orange County accident lawyers are dedicated to helping you get the full compensation that you deserve.
Getting Compensation After a Boating Accident
Boat accidents can vary widely in type and severity. The financial compensation you may be entitled to recover will depend on the specific facts of your case. That being said, damages in personal injury cases are generally awarded for:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of income
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Out-of-pocket costs related to the accident
The Irvine accident attorneys at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates will investigate the specific facts of your case to make sure you seek and obtain the maximum compensation that you are entitled to for the injuries you have suffered.
Frequently Asked Boat Accident Questions
- Who is held responsible in a boating accident? — There are many parties that can be held liable in a boat accident. The injured party or their family may be able to seek compensation for negligence from the driver of the boat, the owner of the boat, the boat manufacturer, the boat rental company, or even the passengers on the boat who acted in a negligent or reckless manner.
- Is there a law against “Boating Under the Influence” in California? — Yes, in California it is considered a crime to operate a boat while intoxicated. Although there are no laws against alcohol consumption or carrying open alcohol containers on a boat, it is illegal to drive a boat with a BAC of .08% or higher. (Read more.)
- When am I required to report a boating accident? — There are certain incidences in which you are required by law to report a boating accident: if someone dies, the damages to the vessel exceed $2,000; the vessel is lost, or someone is lost indicating a death or serious injury.
Contact an Orange County Boat Accident Attorney Today!
If you or someone you love has been injured in a boating or watercraft accident caused by the negligence or reckless actions of another party, you should discuss your legal options with an expert Irvine accident lawyer. The boat accident attorneys at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates have experienced accident attorneys who will aggressively fight for you and help you get the full extent of money damages.
With multiple offices located in Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo, San Diego, and Riverside, our lawyers represent boat accident victims across Southern California. For more information or to schedule a FREE consultation with one of the attorneys, call 949-727-9300.