Motorcycle safety awareness is generally a topic for spring and early topic. However, in California, where riders enjoy the luxury of a four-season riding weather, it is important for motorcyclists and other motorists on the road to be mindful of important precautions and strategies to keep the roads safe for everyone.
Alarming Motorcycle Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), although overall roadway deaths have generally declined in recent years, deaths among motorcyclists have remained stubbornly high. The Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) similarly pointed out that motorcycle fatalities has climbed more than 26 percent, while overall roadway deaths dropped 28 percent between 2010 and 2014.
Safety Measures to Prevent Motorcycle Deaths
Not all motorcycle deaths can be avoided. However, there are certain steps that motorcyclists can take to increase the likelihood of avoiding a fatal accident. Wearing a properly fitted and secured helmet is the single most effective way to prevent serious injury and death in the event of a motorcycle collision. Despite the proven safety importance, only 19 states and the District require motorcyclists to wear helmets while riding. The NHTSA director, Dr. Mark Rosekind, has consisted warned that “[w]earing a helmet that meets DOT standards can literally mean the difference between life and death.”
Other steps you can take to enjoy a safer ride on your motorcycle include:
- Never riding your motorcycle while distracted
- Always signaling your intentions before changing lanes
- Investing in antilock brakes (ABS)
- Honing your riding skills
- Wearing the right gear, such as thick leather pants and jacket
- Riding defensively, including being extra alert, keeping an eye out for cars suddenly changing lanes, and not tailgating
- Avoiding riding in bad weather because slippery conditions can reduce your margin for error
- Being vigilant for road hazards
What To Do After a Motorcycle Accident
Regardless of how much of a safe rider you may be, in certain situations getting into an accident may simply be unavoidable. If you or a loved one has been in a motorcycle accident that was caused by the negligence of another party, you should consider the following steps to take after your accident:
- Seeking immediate medical attention, even if you think you are fine
- Getting pertinent information from all parties involved in the accident
- Obtaining the contact information for any witnesses to the accident
- Consulting with a personal injury attorney who specifically handles motorcycle accidents
Call a Los Angeles Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today!
The legal team at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas is dedicated to helping our injured motorcycle accident clients reach the best monetary settlement when they are involved in any type of accidents.
If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury in a motorcycle accident that was caused by the negligent or reckless actions of another party, our experienced Los Angeles motorcycle accident attorneys are available to personally review your case. Call us at 1-888-848-5048 to schedule a free, complimentary consultation with our legal team today.