- January 9, 2017
- In car Accident
Less sleep can impact many aspects of your life – including the increased risk of getting into a car accident. According to a new study, getting less than seven hours of sleep each night can more than double your chances of a car accident. New findings from the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety warn that motorists who get less than seven hours of sleep could face fatal consequences by doubling their risk of accidents.
The researchers of this study also showed that if you get less than five hours of sleep, you quadruple your risk of a car accident. Along the same lines, if you get less than 4 hours of sleep, you will be 11 times more likely to get into a car accident.
Drowsy Driving Is Simply Dangerous
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that 35 percent of drivers in the United States get less than the recommended eight hours of sleep each night, thereby increasing their risk of getting into an accident.
Unfortunately, drowsy driving tends to be an even bigger problem around the holiday season when people tend to take long road trips to visit family. Studies show that operating a motor vehicle while drowsy or fatigued decreases your attention span, lowers your alertness and impairs your judgment.
Preventing Fatigued Driving
Below is a list of steps you can take to avoid driving while fatigued or drowsy. This list is helpful both during the holiday season and any other time of the year.
- Go to bed around the same time each night
- Avoid or limit caffeinated drinks late in the day
- Avoid screen time an hour before going to bed
- If you are driving a long distance, stop every two hours or about every 100 miles to get out of the car and stretch or walk around
- Only travel during the time when you are normally awake
- Do not consume heavy foods that can make you drowsy
- Avoid alcohol, even one drink, if you are planning on driving
- Do not take any medications that can make you drowsy, including over-the-counter medications
- Travel with a passenger who is alert and can take over the wheel if you get tired
Call a Los Angeles Car Accident Attorney Today!
The legal team at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas is dedicated to helping our injured clients reach the best monetary settlement when they are involved in any type of accident.
If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury in an accident that was caused by the negligent actions of another party, our experienced Car Accident Attorney Los Angeles is available to personally review your case. Call us at 1-888-848-5048 to schedule a free, complimentary consultation with our legal team today.
“Fighting for Justice: A Conversation with Personal Injury Attorney Samer Habbas on the Love Thy Lawyer Podcast”May 25, 2023
May 15, 2023
May 8, 2023
May 5, 2023
May 3, 2023