Although only a very small number of trips are taken on bicycles in the United States, bicyclists face a higher risk of accident related injury and death than motorists. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) noted that in 2013 more than 900 bicyclists were killed and approximately 494,000 were seriously injured. Overall, bicycle accident-related injuries result in more than $10 billion worth of lifetime medical costs and productivity losses to bicyclists.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident that was caused by the reckless actions of another party, you may be entitled to damages for your injuries. An experienced bicycle accident attorney can help you obtain the full extent of the damages that you deserve.
How to Determine Negligence In a Bicycle Accident Case
Bicycle accidents can happen in many different ways. However, most of these accidents occur as a result of the negligence of other motorists on the road who collide into bicyclists because they are simply not paying attention to the road. Unfortunately, most of these drivers think that because the victim is a bicyclist, they can escape liability. For this reason, identifying and determining negligence in bicycle accident cases may require investigation and creative lawyering.
Determining who is at fault in a bicycle accident most often centers around what type of collision occurred. Below is a list of the four most common types of bicycle accidents:
- Sideswipe accident. This type of accident generally happens when a driver fails to adequately look for bicyclists on the road before making a lane change.
- Rear end accident. This type of accident usually occurs when a motorist is following too closely behind a bicyclist.
- “Left Cross” accident. This type of accident happens when a motorist attempts to make a left turn at an intersection and collides into a bicyclist who is traveling in the opposite direction
- “Right Hook” accident. This type of accident is the opposite of a Left Cross, in that the accident happens when a motorist attempting to pass a bicyclist on the left turns right in front of the bicyclist.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
Regardless of what causes a bicycle accident, the resulting injuries are often tragic. Some common injuries suffered by bicycle accident victims include:
- Broken or fractured bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Knee injuries
- Cuts, bruises and lacerations
Treating these type of injuries can financially drain the victim and his or her family. As such, it is imperative to hire an aggressive bicycle accident lawyer to help recover the full extent of the damages.
Consult with a Bicycle Accident Attorney in Los Angeles
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a bicycle accident that was caused by the negligence of another party, you may be entitled to financial compensation by filing a personal injury claim. For more information or to schedule a free consultation with an experienced bicycle accident attorney, call the Law Offices of Samer Habbas today at 888.848.5084.