Many motorists are not comfortable driving at night, even those who do not have a vision problem. When less visibility is combined with other factors, such as poor weather conditions or exhaustion, it can increase the risk of accidents. However, even though night driving is generally more dangerous, you can reduce the risks if you practice certain tips when getting behind the wheel.
- Always use headlights. It is always a good idea to use your headlights when driving at night. Make it a habit to turn your headlights on about an hour before dusk. Using headlights makes it easier for you to see as the sun sets. It will also make you more visible to other drivers on the road.
- Do not tailgate. It is never a good idea to drive too closely to the car ahead of you – especially when you are driving at night with less visibility. Driving too close at night is even more dangerous for several reasons. One, it can make other drivers more nervous, resulting in poor judgment and ultimately an accident. Another reason is the closer your headlights to the car in front of you, the brighter and more distracting it can seem to that driver.
- Be extra alert. The best tip to driving safer at night is to be alert at all times and always watch for lights and movements in your mirrors. Night driving generally makes it harder to see animals on the road, pedestrians crossing the road, or debris that could already be present or become a problem.
- Don’t drive tired. Fatigued driving is one of the leading causes of night driving collisions. When you are tired and get behind the wheel, you will not be as alert and will not have a quick reaction time to things that could cause an accident. If you are tired, it is best to pull to the side of the road, get some rest or coffee and then get back behind the wheel.
- Avoid distractions. Distracted driving can easily cause an accident, especially during the night. Avoid using your cell phone, constantly changing the radio station, excess or heated conversations with other passengers in your car, or anything else that causes you to get distracted from the road.
These tips will reduce the risks associated with night driving. However, accidents can still happen. And when they do, you need to make sure you are prepared and take every step necessary to protect your legal rights.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident caused by a negligent party, you may be entitled to compensation. As a family member of a loved one who died in an accident, you may also be entitled to compensation. To ensure you get the full money damages you deserve, you need to consult with and hire a Los Angeles accident attorney.
May 23, 2022
May 18, 2022
April 10, 2022
January 31, 2022
January 28, 2022