- November 19, 2019
- In news & Information
It has been reported that Los Angeles is the worst city in the United States for commuters. The average person spends 119 hours a year stuck in traffic. That calculates to approximately 15 work days. Metropolitan cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, and New York are populated with endless traffic congestion occupied by residents, commuters, and travelers.
The more time spent behind the wheel, the greater the risk of being involved in an emergency situation while in the vehicle. Whether it is an auto collision or mechanical difficulties, it is important to always keep your vehicle equipped with the essential items listed below.
Essential Items for the Ultimate Car Safety Kit
In order to be prepared for an emergency situation, you supply your car with an emergency preparedness kit. According to the National Safety Council, every vehicle should have an emergency supply kit located in the trunk. Kits should be checked every six months, and expired items should be replaced to keep up to date.
Vehicle emergency supply kit should include:
- A properly inflated spare tire, wheel wrench and tripod jack
- Jumper cables
- Tool kit and/or a multipurpose utility tool
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Reflective triangles and brightly colored cloth to make your vehicle more visible
- First aid kit with gauze, tape, bandages, antibiotic ointment, aspirin, a blanket, non-latex gloves, scissors, hydrocortisone, thermometer, tweezers and instant cold compress
- Nonperishable, high-energy foods, such as unsalted nuts, dried fruits and hard candy
- Drinking water
- Reflective vest in case you need to walk to get help
- Car charger for your cell phone
- Fire extinguisher
- Duct tape
- Rain poncho
- Additional items for cold weather include a snow brush, shovel, windshield washer fluid, warm clothing, cat litter for traction and blankets
Safety Tips for Road Safety
In addition to your ultimate care safety kit, you also need to be aware of certain safety tips that can help reduce the likelihood of getting into an accident or help during an emergency situation.
Below are some important vehicle safety tips you should consider:
- Keep you gas tank full — make a habit of filling your tank at every half tank mark.
- Make sure your tires are in safe and working condition.
- Do not drive through flooded areas.
- Be aware of areas where floods have receded.
- Do not attempt to exit your car if a power line has fallen on it — stay inside until a trained professional removes the wire.
- Immediately pull your vehicle to the side of the road if you lose control of your car.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident caused by a negligent party, you may be entitled to compensation. The attorneys at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates have achieved over $135 million for their clients so far. For more information or to schedule a FREE consultation with one of the attorneys, call 949-727-9300.
September 29, 2023
September 25, 2023
September 21, 2023
September 18, 2023
September 14, 2023