After some time, driving becomes a second nature. Especially for commuters, the routine routes develop into muscle memory. Unfortunately, it is common for drivers to take up bad driving habits once they get comfortable behind the wheel. No matter your track record, basic driver’s education training is easy to forget when you adapt to your own style of driving.
Some of these bad driving habits may seem rather normal or conformist in society; however, these habits are identified as a form of negligence, which can result in serious accidents, traffic violations or undue wear and tear on your vehicle.
Bad Driving Habits to Avoid
There are many habits people have while they drive that they don’t realize pose a big threat to themselves and others on the road. Below are some common types of bad driving habits to avoid:
- Failing to signal. You need to use your signals at least 100 feet in advance to let other drivers and pedestrians know your next move so they can slow down and accommodate.
- Rolling through stop signs. You need to come to full stop at stop signs, just like at a red light. Failing to come to a complete stop before turning or proceeding into the intersection can result in a serious crash.
- Sudden stops. Keep an eye on your surroundings and anticipate when you might need to stop. Pressing slowly on your brake pedal helps save on the excess wear on brake pads.
- Fast starts. Peeling away from a traffic light or stop sign not only uses excess gas, but can also put a strain on the key components of your engine. Accelerate at a slow smooth rate.
- Running yellow or red lights. Running a yellow or red light can significantly increase your chance of getting into an accident. If the light turns yellow before you reach the intersection, it’s best not to risk it.
- Disregarding the speed limit. It is important to always obey the posted speed limits. It is there for a reason.
- Driving distracted. Driving distracted is perhaps one of the worst habits you can pick up. Checking your phone, texting and playing with the radio are among the top distractions for most drivers. Putting on makeup while driving tops the list for most female drivers. Taking your eyes off the road for even one second while driving can result in a tragic crash. It is best to avoid all distractions while behind the wheel. If you really need to take your eyes off the road for any reason, you should pull over first.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident caused by the negligence of another party, you should discuss your legal options with an experienced accident attorney as you may be entitled to compensation. The skillful attorneys at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates specialize in all types of personal injury accidents and have successfully attained service and results that go beyond expectations. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of the attorneys, please call 949-727-9300.
December 1, 2023
November 27, 2023
November 24, 2023
November 21, 2023
November 20, 2023