- April 24, 2014
- In auto Accidents
When you are seriously injured in a truck accident, you may not know what to do, where to turn, or how to protect your legal rights. The steps you take after a truck accident, or any other type of accident, may significantly affect your legal rights and the road to recovery.
Below is a list of important steps you should take following a truck accident to protect your legal rights and best interests:
- Seek immediate and appropriate medical care. It is important to get medical attention immediately following your truck accident, even if you think you are not injured. You should see physicians and medical specialists who can provide the treatment that is appropriate for your particular injuries. While no amount of money will make the pain go away, it will help you get the right medical help and treatment that you need and deserve.
- Get the important information. If you are not severely injured and able to communicate, you should gather important information from all parties involved in the accident. The information you gather should include the party’s name, telephone, address, drivers’ license number, license plate number, and insurance information.
- Obtain the information of any witness to the accident. It is also important for you to get the information of any eyewitnesses to the scene of the accident. This is especially important if a fault is at issue in your personal injury claim.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident. The saying “a picture is worth a thousand words” cannot be more appropriate for truck accident claims. You should take pictures of the scene of the accident, including the vehicles, the parties, and the road.
- Never sign any documents. It is detrimental to your claim if you talk to an insurance company, provide a recorded statement, or sign any documents without first consulting with an experienced truck accident attorney. Insurance carriers are not on your side and will take every step possible to get the necessary information to limit your claim. An experienced truck accident attorney can evaluate your claim to ensure you get the full compensation that you deserve.
- Hire an experienced truck accident attorney. When hiring an attorney, you should make sure the individual has a successful track record, specifically handles truck accident cases, and is capable to aggressively fight for your rights and get you the full extent of the money damages you are entitled to.
We Can Help