- August 14, 2020
- In auto Accidents
Recreational vehicles (RVs) are one of the best ways to enjoy the great outdoors, especially in sunny California. These are either vehicles or trailers that offer a healthy combination of at-home comforts and that outdoor camping vibe.
Because of the ongoing quarantine in California, RVs are actually an ideal getaway option this summer. They allow for sufficient social distancing and quarantining while affording individuals, couples, or families a chance to travel around the country.
In fact, the summer of 2020 has been a particularly good one for RV sales. Across the country, not just in California, people are anxious to get out and be active. RVs, along with swimming pools, trampolines, and tents, are hot commodities these days.
In June 2020, RV sales were up 11% from the year prior. As RVs are being purchased, and also rented, at a higher rate, they are also being driven at a higher rate. This can only mean one thing: RV accidents and injuries are on the rise.
If you are injured in an RV accident in California, contact the RV accident attorneys at Samer Habbas & Associates for help. Working with an experienced RV attorney will then ensure you are taken care of financially and medically. To learn more or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our attorneys, please call 949-727-9300.
What causes RV accidents
Because of their unique size and shape, there are a variety of reasons that RV accidents occur. They are more difficult to maneuver and change speeds. As a result, driving an RV or driving around an RV in traffic can be intimidating.
Some of the most common reasons for RV accidents include:
- Rookie or inexperienced drivers: Driving an RV or a truck with an RV attached to it is unlike driving any other vehicle. Its size and shape make it difficult to maneuver through tight spaces, back up, park, switch lanes, and so on. The entire driving experience is different. This year especially, with so many RV sales, there are bound to be plenty of new RV drivers hitting the roads.
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is a threat to everyone on the road. Whether it be texting and driving, distracted pedestrians, doing makeup, drowsy driving, or trying to finish breakfast, distracted driving in California can happen quickly and cause serious injury. Even minor distractions can pose a serious threat to RV drivers who need more time to respond or return to course if they are distracted themselves.
- Aggressive Driving: RVs are not as agile and responsive as are smaller vehicles. Aggressive driving such as speeding can put RV drivers in a complicated situation where they are simply unable to slow down or direct the vehicle to safety. It is advisable to never drive above the speed limit with an RV; staying a few MPH under the limit and leaving ample room between you and other vehicles will provide a better sense of safety.
- Weather conditions: Dangerous weather conditions are especially hazardous for RVs as well. Strong winds can really destabilize the RV and potentially flip it over. Intense rainfall or snow can present additional complications because of their size.
- Poorly loaded RVs: Driving an RV is challenging enough. Driving one that is poorly loaded is more challenging still. RVs themselves are large yet fairly heavy. This means that too much additional weight can overload the RV. Other times, the weight might be loaded improperly on one side and create a potential rollover scenario.
It is crazy to think that COVID-19 could disrupt traffic, but that is exactly what we are seeing in some parts of the country.
New or updated shipping routes are changing the way truck drivers are using the roadways. Millions of people are looking for little getaways or short drives to get out of the house. Vacationers are opting to drive instead of fly. On top of all of that is still the increase in RV traffic in California and elsewhere.
If you are planning a camping road trip this summer, make sure to drive your RV with extra caution. If not, be respectful of the RV drivers you do see on the road. Give them the extra space and time they need to safely maneuver the vehicle.
Contact an Experienced RV Accident Attorney
If you or a loved has been injured in an RV accident, you should discuss your legal options with an attorney as you may be entitled to compensation. The Orange County accident lawyers at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates advocate for their clients’ full financial recovery through hard work and an aggressive approach. With multiple offices located in Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo, San Diego and Riverside, our personal injury lawyers represent RV accident victims across Southern California. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our attorneys, please call 949-727-9300.
September 27, 2022
September 11, 2022
September 3, 2022
September 3, 2022
August 31, 2022