blog banner

It’s been a little more than a year since the death of superstar Michael Jackson here in Los Angeles. The case is a source of interest to many of the wrongful death lawyers at The Law Offices of Samer Habbas who grew up listening to the music of Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five.

Many consider Jackson’s death a wrongful death case caused by his doctor’s negligence. Jackson’s personal physician, Dr. Conrad Murray, administered the powerful drug Propofol to help him sleep. However, Propofol caused his death instead.

For the last year, there have been countless news articles about Michael Jackson’s accidental death. Some of the stories have inadvertently passed along incorrect information about wrongful death lawsuits in Southern California. In order to dispel any misconceptions you may have, we’d like to make you aware of some facts:

Who can file a wrongful death lawsuit?

An immediate family member such as a spouse, domestic partner or child can file a wrongful death lawsuit. Parents, brothers and sisters or grandparents can make a claim for wrongful death if the victim was unmarried and childless.

When can you file a wrongful death lawsuit?

Each state’s statute of limitations specifies the length of time in which one must file a lawsuit for wrongful death. One must file a California wrongful death lawsuit within two years of the victim’s death or the discovery of the injury causing the death. In the case of a wrongful death lawsuit filed against a doctor, like Jackson’s, a person must file within one year.

What type of damages can one recover in a wrongful death lawsuit?

Compensation for wrongful death cases includes burial or funeral costs, medical expenses, out-of-pocket expenses, pain and suffering, loss of companionship, loss of service to the family, loss of earning potential and loss of pension.

If you have any other questions about the wrongful death of a loved one in Southern California and Los Angeles, contact The Law Offices of Samer Habbas. We offer a free consultation to discuss your case. Call us today at 888.848.5084.