San Diego Elder Abuse Attorneys
The “Baby Boomer Generation” makes up more than 13 percent of the total population in the United States, which equals to more than 40.3 million people. By 2050, it is predicted that Americans 65 years or older will make up about 20 percent of the total population.
This increase in the number of Baby Boomers also brings about an increase in the number of abuse cases towards this older generation. Elder abuse and neglect can result in serious harm and injury. If you or a loved one has been the victim of elder abuse, the caring legal team at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas will protect your legal rights and help you obtain the full compensation that you deserve.
Categorizing Elder Abuse
Elder abuse can be categorized in four groups:
- Physical abuse, which entails the intentional infliction of bodily injuries.
- Emotion abuse, which entails verbal assault, threats, intimidation, isolation, or other acts that cause psychological or emotional trauma.
- Financial abuse, which entails the taking of assets of the elderly through any fraudulent act or conduct.
- Neglect, which entails the failure to exercise reasonable care in providing custodial care services, such as:
- Providing assistance in personal hygiene
- Providing basic necessities, such as food, water, clothing and shelter
- Providing necessary medical care
- Preventing malnutrition or dehydration
- Protecting the elderly from health and safety hazards
If you believe you or a loved one has been the victim of abuse in any of these four categories of elder abuse, the experienced San Diego elder abuse attorneys at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas can help. We are committed to protecting the rights of the elderly and helping them and their loved ones get through these challenging situations.
Detecting Elder Abuse
There are several signs that may indicate the happening of an elder abuse – whether it is physical, sexual, financial or neglect, as mentioned above. If you notice any of the signs below, you or your loved one may be subject to elder abuse:
- Some type of unusual activity in the bank account of the elderly individual, such as frequent withdrawals or large withdrawals.
- The caretaker has asked the elderly individual for a loan while telling him or her to keep the request a secret from everyone.
- The elderly person, or you as the provider, is paying full price for amenities and facilities, but the elderly is living in poor conditions.
- The elderly has bedsores and other prominent coloring, indicating signs of physical abuse or neglect.
These are only a few possible signs of abuse. If you have any suspect that an elderly loved one is subject to abuse, it is imperative to immediately take action by informing the proper authorities and also contacting an experienced San Diego elder abuse attorney.
Call an Experienced Elder Abuse Attorney in Southern California
If you or a loved one been the victim of elder abuse, please contact the Law Offices of Samer Habbas. We will aggressively fight to protect your legal rights.
For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our experienced elder abuse lawyers in San Diego, please call 1-888-848-5084, or complete our free personal injury consultation form.
Our Legal Expertise