Estimating Value in Compensation for Catastrophic Injuries
If you have been a victim of a catastrophic injury, you may want to retain the services of an Orange County catastrophic injury lawyer to help you bring a claim so you can be properly compensated for your injuries. Estimating the value of a catastrophic injury is complex and difficult to calculate, especially since some symptoms or consequences may emerge years after the accident.
Representation from an experienced Orange County catastrophic injury lawyer is crucial, since most catastrophic injury victims are not aware of their rights and might be tempted to settle with the wrongdoing party out of court. This usually results in the victim receiving far less than full compensation for the injury.
Keep in mind that compensation is not only your medical bills; it’s also lost wages, lost future wages, pain and suffering, permanent disability, and long term care. If your catastrophic injury prevents you from working, compensation that you receive may be your only source of income in the future.
Calculating the value of compensation for your catastrophic injury centers around an evaluation of the severity of the injury. It’s important to look at several factors, including:
- Medical expenses incurred as a result of the accident;
- Estimate of ongoing medical expenses, rehabilitation, physical therapy, or counseling in the future;
- Pain, suffering, and emotional damage arising from the accident;
- Lost wages and lost future wages (based on income earning capacity);
- Ability of the victim to conduct daily activities or work;
- Eligibility for protection against discrimination;
- Property damage; and
- Punitive damages may sometimes be awarded if the party that caused the accident knew or should have known that his or her actions or omissions would have resulted in catastrophic injury or death.
The value of compensation is different for each individual case of catastrophic injury. This is why it is so important to have a knowledgeable lawyer guide you through the process and help you calculate how much compensation you are entitled to. If you are suffering from a catastrophic injury and are not already represented by an Orange County catastrophic injury lawyer, do not hesitate to contact Samer Habbas at (888) 848-5084.