RIVERSIDE BUS ACCIDENT ATTORNEY
The sheer weight and size of any kind of bus virtually assure that passengers will have severe injuries or worse if the bus is in an accident. When we board a bus, we trust that the bus has had proper maintenance and that an experienced professional with the correct training and licensing will drive it. Unfortunately, bus companies and drivers don’t always honor that trust. An accident involving a bus can also result in serious harm to other victims involved, including pedestrians, passersby, and passengers in other vehicles involved in the crash.
If you or a loved one was injured in a bus accident, you should immediately consult the experienced Riverside bus accident attorney at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates to protect your legal rights. Our legal team will aggressively fight for the settlement that you deserve and will help you get through this difficult period.
With multiple offices located in Riverside, Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo, and San Diego, our personal injury attorneys represent bus accident victims across Southern California. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with a lawyer, please call 888-848-5084.
BUS ACCIDENTS CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURIES
Accidents involving private and public bus services and school buses generally result in serious injuries to pedestrians, passengers and other motorists involved. Due to California’s rapid growth, the number of school and city buses is growing as well. More transit riders and students mean a greater likelihood of accidents and injuries.
Some common bus accident injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken or fractured bones
- Traumatic amputations
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Cuts and bruises
- Wrongful death
Regardless of the type and extent of injury that you suffer, you need to immediately seek treatment with a medical professional. Symptoms of certain injuries, such as a brain injury, may take days or even weeks to surface. To avoid more injuries and make sure that you get the proper treatment you need, it is best to get a medical check-up as soon as possible, even if you don’t have any major symptoms after the bus crash.
Types of Bus Accidents in Riverside
A bus crash may be an accident, but it does not mean that there are no commonalities between the incidents. Dangerous habits, such as distracted driving and driving under the influence of alcohol or other controlled substances, continue to put bus passengers and other commuters at risk for sustaining serious or even deadly injuries.
Some of the most common types of bus accidents include:
- Rollover accidents
- T-bone accidents
- Head-on collisions
- Rear-end collisions
- Sideswipe accidents
It is important to note that it is not only the negligent actions of bus drivers that can cause accidents. Bus collisions can also occur due to the poor maintenance of the vehicle. Failing to regularly inspect the brakes, tires, and other bus components is also considered negligence on behalf of the bus company. If a bus accident happens as a result of a maintenance issue, you as the injured party may have legal recourse against the company for all accident-related damages.
Steps to Take After a Riverside Bus Accident
Taking public transportation, renting a private bus, or navigating to school are generally supposed to be relatively safe ways to reach your destination. However, this is not always the case. Just like with any other motor vehicle, you may find yourself involved in a bus accident. It is best that you know what steps to take if you do in order to protect your legal rights. Below are important steps to follow after a bus accident:
- Call 911: If you or anyone else is injured, immediately call 911. Additionally, keep any medical treatment documents related to your case, as they will be an important component for evidence.
- File A Police Report: Even if the police do not come to the scene of the crash, you should still call your local police station to file a police report. The police report will also be an important piece of evidence for your case.
- Get Information for Witnesses: If there was anyone who witnessed the accident, it is important to take down their contact information so they can give their statement to both the police or your attorney as part of your personal injury claim.
- Take Photos of the Scene: If you are able to, make sure to take as many photographs of the accident scene, the damages to the bus and other vehicles involved, and any injuries you suffered as a result of the collision.
- Contact an Experienced Riverside Bus Accident Lawyer: It is important that you contact an attorney as soon as possible, as he or she will advise you on what to do next.
Filing a Bus Accident Claim
Bus line operators owe passengers, pedestrians, and other motorists a heightened duty of care under California common carrier laws. Most motor vehicle accidents, including bus accidents, are based on a negligence cause of action. In order to successfully prove your case, you need to prove several elements.
- Duty. You need to prove the defendant bus driver and/or bus operator owed a duty to you.
- Breach of duty. You must also prove that the defendant breached this duty of care that was owed.
- Causation. Next, you need to prove the breached duty actually and proximately caused your injuries and damages.
- Damages. Lastly, you need to prove your damages by showing you suffered actual injuries resulting from the accident.
The legal team at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates is a zealous advocate for injured bus accident victims. We have the knowledge and experience to negotiate and litigate bus accident cases to make sure our clients get the full compensation they are entitled to under the law.
Damages Available to Bus Accident Victims
Bus accidents are not as common as other motor vehicle accidents. However, when they do occur, the resulting injuries can be catastrophic. Such injuries can require extensive medical treatment and often significantly impact all aspects of the victims’ lives. As such, it is important to have an experienced Riverside bus accident attorney on your side to help you calculate all the damages that you are entitled to and obtain the full compensation that you deserve.
Depending on the specific facts of your case, you may be entitled to different types of damages. Our experienced legal team will investigate the facts surrounding your bus accident and fight to ensure that you are compensated for your:
- Past and future medical bills
- Loss of wages and future earning capacity
- Loss of benefits
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional and mental injuries
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral expenses
Contact an Experienced Riverside Bus Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bus accident, contact the Law Offices of Samer Habbas. We specialize in handling bus accident injury cases. We have the experience to help you recover your lost wages, medical expenses, and any other costs related to your bus accident injury.
With multiple offices located in Riverside, Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo, and San Diego, our personal injury attorneys represent bus accident victims across Southern California. The Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates is dedicated to helping bus accident victims receive just compensation for their injuries. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with a lawyer, please call 888-848-5084.