RIVERSIDE ELDER ABUSE ATTORNEY
California is home to more seniors than any other state in the country. Sadly, that also means that our state leads the nation in incidents of elder abuse. It is estimated that four percent of California seniors age 65 and older suffer from neglect or some other form of elder abuse.
If that figure isn’t shocking enough, the United States Department of Health and Human Services estimates that for every reported case of elder abuse in this country, five incidents of elder abuse go unreported. You don’t have to be a Riverside elder abuse lawyer to see the scope of the elder abuse problem that exists here in the State of California and across the country.
If you or someone you know is the victim of elder abuse in California, you should seek counsel from a Riverside elder abuse attorney to ensure that you and your loved one receive help and find justice.
Everyone is responsible for reporting elder abuse whenever they see or suspect it. If you need to speak with a Riverside elder abuse lawyer, contact the California elder abuse experts from the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates. Our Riverside elder abuse attorneys have the knowledge and experience to protect you and your elderly loved one.
With multiple offices located in Riverside, Anaheim, Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo and San Diego, our personal injury lawyers represent abused elderly across Southern California. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with an expert Riverside elder abuse lawyer, please call 888-848-5084.
Common Forms of Elder Abuse
When we hear of elder abuse, we commonly think of physical abuse. While physical abuse may be the most recognized form of elder abuse, there are other types of abuse with harmful effects that are no less devastating to the physical and mental health of the victim.
These other forms of elder abuse include:
- Emotional abuse
- Sexual abuse
- Financial abuse
What are the five signs of elder abuse?
There are several types of elder abuse that an individual may suffer at the hands of another individual. Family members and loved ones must educate themselves to recognize the signs of elder abuse to stop the abusive behavior and seek justice for the victim.
The Riverside elder abuse attorneys at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas put together the following list of elder abuse warning signs that everyone should be aware of:
#1 Signs of Elder Physical Abuse
- Unexplained injuries, like welts, bruises, scars, dislocations, broken bones, or sprains.
- Medication overdoses or the failure to take medication regularly.
- Unexplained property damage, including damage to eyeglasses, wristwatches, and other items, or signs of physical restraint.
- A caregiver denying access to a loved one.
#2 Signs of Elder Emotional Abuse
- When a caregiver is controlling, demeaning, or threatening toward the elder.
- When an elderly individual mimics symptoms of dementia by mumbling, sucking, or rocking.
#3 Signs of Elder Sexual Abuse
- Bruises around an elder’s breasts or genitals, as well as unexplained bleeding from the anus or vagina.
- Bloody, stained, or torn undergarments.
#4 Signs of Elder Financial Abuse
- Changes in an elder’s financial situation, unusual bank account activity, or missing cash or property.
- Unexpected changes to powers of attorney, wills, policies, and titles, or the addition of signatories to accounts.
- The unnecessary purchase of goods, services, or subscriptions.
#5 Signs of Elder Neglect
- Dehydration, malnutrition, excessive weight loss, untreated bedsores, and other similar untreated physical issues.
- Unsanitary conditions, including the presence of bugs, dirt, soiled clothing and bedding, and poor hygiene.
Contact a Top-Rated Riverside Elder Abuse Attorney Today!
At the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates, we take our responsibility in combating elder abuse very seriously, and we have a proven record of success in helping victims, and their families obtain proper compensation to help them pay for medical bills, address their pain and suffering, and receive the level of care they deserve.
If find yourself or a loved one a victim of elder abuse, it is crucial you contact an expert elder abuse lawyer to protect your rights. Our Riverside elder abuse attorneys have the knowledge and experience to handle your elder abuse claim with extreme care and professionalism. With multiple offices located in Riverside, Anaheim, Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo and San Diego, our personal injury lawyers represent abused elderly across Southern California. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with an expert Riverside elder abuse lawyer, please call 888-848-5084.