SAN BERNARDINO DOG BITE ATTORNEY
Did you know that California leads the country in dog attacks and dog bite injuries every year? That is an unfortunate distinction, but what is even more tragic is the number of dog bite victims who are severely injured, maimed, and killed each year because of dog bites and dog attacks.
San Bernardino dog attack victims don’t care about statistics. They care about obtaining the medical attention they need and doing what they can to prevent that dog from hurting anyone else. The best way to do that is to file a dog bite lawsuit against the dog’s owner.
If you or a loved one have been attacked or bitten by a dog in California, the San Bernardino dog bite attorneys at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates can help. Our personal injury attorneys have the knowledge and experience in handling a variety of injury claims, including dog bites and animal attacks. With multiple offices located in Riverside, Anaheim, Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo and San Diego, our dog bite lawyers represent injured victims across Southern California. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with a San Bernardino personal injury attorney, please call 949-438-5829.
CALIFORNIA DOG BITE LAWS
California’s Dog Bite Statute (Civil Code Section 3342) holds dog owners strictly liable for injuries or damages caused by their dog, even if the animal has not previously shown any sign of aggression.
As a result, victims who enlist the help of experienced San Bernardino dog bite lawyers can sue dog owners following an attack and seek compensation for:
- Emotional and mental trauma
- Pain and suffering
- Past and future medical bills
- Loss of wages or earning capacity
- Wrongful death
In simple terms, if a dog attacks or bites you in San Bernardino, the dog’s owner can be sued for damages, no matter how minor the attack. California’s only exemption to its dog bite statute relates to the provocation of the animal.
What to Do if a Dog Bites You on the Street in San Bernardino
What a victim does in the minutes and hours following a San Bernardino dog attack is vital, especially if they seek compensation for injuries sustained in the attack.
The first and most crucial step a dog bite or dog attack victim should take is to seek immediate medical attention and treatment. Regardless of how minor your injury may seem, being seen by a medical professional is a must! Quite often, the victim of a dog bite will require vaccinations. In addition to medical treatment, the victim of their loved ones should take the following steps:
- Identify the dog involved in the attack. The dog’s owner must be identified so that animal control can adequately investigate the incident. That includes collecting the owner’s name, address, driver’s license number, and phone number, or the contact information of whoever was in control of the dog at the time of the attack. Whenever possible, take photos of the dog or at least take note of the animal’s description as best you can.
- Collect witness contact information. If anyone witnessed the dog attack, collect their name, address, and telephone number. Witness testimony is an essential component of a California dog bite lawsuit.
- File a report. File a report with San Bernardino Animal Services or local law enforcement. In your report, be sure to document anything you can remember about the dog attack and the scene. Be sure to note the dog’s appearance, where it came from, any restraints on the animal, and whether or not the owner or anyone else came to your aid. You want to document the entire incident as soon as possible. If necessary, have someone write all of the information down for you even before you file the report and save a copy for your personal injury lawyer.
- Take photos of your injuries. Photographs of injuries are crucial to any personal injury claim and particularly important in dog bite claims. Photos will help your San Bernardino dog bite lawyer build your case. Be sure to take pictures of your injuries and clothing before and after receiving medical treatment. Over time, you will want to continue taking photos to document any long-term effects of the dog attack.
Contact an Experienced San Bernardino Dog Bite Attorney Today
If you or someone you love has suffered an injury as the result of a San Bernardino dog attack or dog bite, you have a right to hold the dog’s owner liable for your medical treatment, ruined clothing, pain, and suffering, or any other injury or damage associated with the attack.
The team of experienced dog bite attorneys at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates have a proven record of success in helping injured people just like you receive the fair and just compensation they deserve following a San Bernardino dog attack.
With multiple offices located in Riverside, Anaheim, Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo and San Diego, our dog bite lawyers represent victims of attacks across Southern California. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with a San Bernardino dog bite lawyer, please call 949-438-5829.
Frequently Asked Questions
- emotional distress
- loss of enjoyment of life
- shock or mental anguish
- humiliation and embarrassment
- loss of consortium