El Segundo Wrongful Death Attorneys
The loss of a loved one is a terrible experience for anyone. However, when that loss is untimely and caused as a result of the negligent or reckless actions of another person is, it becomes absolutely unbearable. While no amount of compensation can bring back your loved one or fill the void, it can help you and your family members seek the closure and sense of justice that you need to deal with the pain.
If you have lost a loved one as a result of the negligence of another party you may be eligible to file a wrongful death claim. The El Segundo wrongful death attorneys at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates understand how difficult the sudden death of a loved one can be, especially if their death was caused by the negligence of another party.
Our compassionate El Segundo wrongful death lawyers will help you and your family members get the full justice and compensation that you deserve. With multiple offices located in El Segundo, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Irvine, Riverside and San Diego, our personal injury lawyers represent grieving families following a wrongful death all across Southern California. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with an expert El Segundo wrongful death lawyer, please call 619-304-8867.
What is a Wrongful Death claim?
A wrongful death claim is a type of action in which the surviving family members seek damages against a party for causing death as a result of negligence or reckless actions. This type of claim is brought in a civil action, especially in situations when criminal action has failed or is not attempted. A wrongful death action can compensate you and your family members for economic damages and related losses, including burial and funeral expenses, as well as bring the at-fault party to justice.
A wrongful death claim can be brought in any type of personal injury claim that results in death, including:
- Medical malpractice
- Motor vehicle or truck accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Premises liability accidents
- Criminal attacks
- Work-related exposure to dangerous conditions or substances
- Death during a supervised activity
- Construction accidents, etc.
If you have untimely lost a loved one, you should immediately consult with an El Segundo wrongful death lawyer as soon as possible to ensure that the wrongful death statute of limitations does not expire.
Elements of a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
In order to successfully bring a wrongful death lawsuit, several elements must be present:
- The death must have been caused by another party’s negligence or their intent to have caused the deceased victim harm.
- Monetary injuries, related to the death, for the surviving family members.
- A personal representative must be appointed for the estate of the decedent.
It is especially important to note that you only have a limited amount of time to file a wrongful death case. This is known as the statute of limitations. If you fail to timely file your claim or lawsuit, you may be forever barred from seeking damages.
Compensation in Wrongful Death Claims
No death ever occurs in a vacuum. Someone is always left behind to grieve; whether that individual is a spouse, a parent, or a child. Wrongful death suits acknowledge the financial and emotional support that the deceased offered to his or her loved ones. The purpose of the suit is to seek damages from the defendant to assuage that loss.
Generally, wrongful death claims allow monetary compensation for:
- Funeral and medical expenses
- Loss of a parent’s guidance and training
- Loss of financial support
- Loss of services typically provided by the deceased
- Considerable pain and suffering by the deceased, etc.
Who Can Bring a Wrongful Death Claim?
California’s laws specifically outline who is legally allowed to bring a wrongful death claim. If you don’t qualify under the law, you may not have the opportunity to seek wrongful death damages. Only certain relatives of the deceased person may file wrongful death lawsuits under California Code of Civil Procedure 377.60:
- A surviving spouse or domestic partner
- Surviving children
- Anyone entitled to the property by intestate succession
- Putative spouse
- Children of a putative spouse
- Stepchildren or minor children
This is the general order in which surviving family members are allowed to file wrongful death claims under the law. Putative spouses and those below them on the list are only legally allowed to bring a claim if they can prove that they were financially dependent on the decedent. You will only be allowed to file a claim through intestate succession if there are no surviving individuals within the decedent’s direct line of descent.
Qualities to Look For When Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
Wrongful death claims can be complicated cases involving significant monetary valuation. The best way for you and your family to successfully bring forth a wrongful death claim is to hire an experienced attorney.
A successful El Segundo wrongful death lawyer has the following qualities:
- Applicable experience in handling wrongful death claims.
- Compassion and empathy to not only death with the legal aspects of the claim, but also to console the grieving and vulnerable family members.
- Have relevant resources necessary to successfully bring a wrongful death claim to justice.
- Have a solid reputation in both the legal field as well as the community.
- Have trial experience in case your case does not settle and must be litigated.
How Can an El Segundo Wrongful Death Attorney Help?
Wrongful death is the most tragic outcome of someone else’s negligent actions. At the Law Offices of Samer Habbas, we do not believe families should have to accept the wrongful death of their loved ones without putting up a fight. Your family deserves answers, justice, and compensation. When you hire an experienced and aggressive El Segundo wrongful death lawyer who can give you the ability to go up against one or more at-fault parties after a fatal accident, you can be confident that you will get justice and closure that you deserve.
Your attorney can handle complex legal aspects of your wrongful death case while you and your family grieve and try to heal:
- Investigate the facts of the accident
- Collect the necessary evidence to prove your case
- Identify all possible at-fault parties
- Obtain the decedent’s medical records
- Deal with confusing claim documents
- Prove losses incurred by your family’s loss
- Build a solid case against the at-fault parties
- Demand and obtain maximum compensation from the insurance companies
Frequently Asked Wrongful Death Questions
How much is a wrongful case worth?
The value of a wrongful death claim varies based on different factors. At the Law Offices of Samer Habbas, our legal team will sit down with you and discuss the damages you and your family are entitled to receive.
What is considered wrongful death?
Wrongful death is caused by another person’s negligent or reckless conduct resulting in death.
Who gets the money in a wrongful death lawsuit?
Wrongful death lawsuits are paid out based on the survivors the deceased individual left behind.
Contact an Expert El Segundo Wrongful Death Attorney
If you have lost a loved one in a wrongful death incident, you may be entitled to compensation. The El Segundo wrongful death lawyers at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates have the knowledge and experience in handling a variety of personal injury claims, including accidents that result in wrongful death.
With multiple offices located in El Segundo, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Irvine, Riverside and San Diego, our wrongful death attorneys represent grieving families across Southern California. The El Segundo wrongful death attorneys at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas help the survivors of victims receive just compensation for their tragic losses. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with an experienced El Segundo wrongful death attorney, please call 619-304-8867.