EL Segundo Slip and Fall Lawyers
According to the National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI), falls account for more than 8 million hospital emergency room visits, representing the leading cause of visits (2.3%). Slips and falls account for over 1 million visits or 12% of total falls. A slip and fall can occur in many different ways, but if it is caused by the negligence or recklessness of another party, they may be accountable for your injuries.
If you or a loved one was injured in a slip and fall accident, you should seek immediate legal consultation to protect your legal rights. The El Segundo slip and fall attorneys at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates will fight for you and make sure you get the full monetary compensation and justice that you deserve. We will be there to help you through this difficult time.
With multiple offices located in El Segundo, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Riverside, Irvine, and San Diego, our personal injury lawyers represent injured victims across Southern California. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with an expert El Segundo slip and fall lawyer, please call 619-304-8867.
COMMON CAUSES OF SLIP AND FALL ACCIDENTS
Not every slip or trip and fall necessarily results in a personal injury claim. If you fall on someone else’s property as a result of your own carelessness or ill-fitting footwear, for instance, you would be responsible for your own medical bills and other expenses related to your injuries.
However, if you slip and fall due to a dangerous or hazardous condition on someone else’s property, you may have a case for a personal injury claim. Some common causes of slip or trip and fall accidents include:
- Wet floor
- Snow or ice on the ground
- Oily surface
- Spills or debris on the floor
- Torn or loose carpeting
- Broken flooring
- Loose rugs
- Poor lighting
- Uncovered cables
- Uneven or missing steps
- Missing or broken handrails
- Broken or uneven sidewalks
Regardless of what caused your slip and fall or trip and fall accident, if it was caused by the negligence of another party, you should immediately call an experienced El Segundo slip and fall accident attorney.
IMPORTANT STEPS TO CONSIDER AFTER A SLIP OR TRIP AND FALL ACCIDENT
If you or a loved one was injured in a slip or trip and fall accident, you should take certain actions to protect your health and your legal rights, including:
- Immediately report the incident to the manager, property owner, or whoever else is in charge of the premises.
- Obtain the name, address, and contact information of any witnesses to the incident.
- Take detailed photographs of the hazardous condition that caused you to trip or slip and fall.
- Keep the clothes and shoes that you were wearing at the time of the incident in safekeeping to ultimately hand them over to your attorney.
- If applicable, keep as evidence the object that caused you to trip and fall.
- Go to the doctor, but if you need immediate medical attention, call the paramedics to come to the scene.
- Contact an experienced El Segundo slip and fall lawyer.
COMMON TYPES OF INJURIES SUFFERED BY SLIP AND FALL ACCIDENT VICTIMS
Slip and falls can be painful as well as cause long-lasting and sometimes debilitating injuries. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), one out of every five falls results in a serious injury, such as a traumatic brain injury or a broken hip.
Some common injuries in a slip and fall can include:
- Head injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Cuts and abrasions
- Pelvic injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
Some of these injuries may require extensive and long-term medical care and treatment. You may also have to take considerable time off work for recovery. If someone else was the cause of your injuries, it is only fair that they pay for your damages.
DETERMINING LIABILITY & FAULT IN A SLIP AND FALL CASE
Although there is no precise way to determine when someone else is legally responsible for your slip and fall incident, cases turn on whether the property owner acted carefully so that the tripping or slipping was not likely to happen. Determining fault in a slip and fault case can be complicated. For most cases, you need to prove the following three things:
- That the property owner had an obligation to the victim
- That the property owner failed to live up to that obligation
- That the victim was injured as the result of the failure
The legal team at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas has successfully handled numerous slip and fall personal injury claims for our injured clients. We have the experience necessary to properly investigate the facts and hold all parties accountable for their negligence in order to ensure that our clients are justly compensated.
COMPENSATION IN SLIP AND FALL CASES
Calculating the compensation you may be entitled to as part of your slip and fall personal injury claim depends on various factors. Your El Segundo premises liability attorney will need to review all relevant documentation and thoroughly assess your case to ensure that you receive all the money damages to which you are entitled.
Some of the components of the settlement or verdict in your slip and fall case include:
- Past, present, and future medical bills.
- Past, present, and future lost earnings
- Out-of-pocket expenses arising from your accident (such as child care while you are in the hospital)
- Pain and suffering, mental anguish, and other non-economic damages
- Punitive cases (only when the defendant’s conduct was particularly egregious)
- Wrongful death damages (for close relatives if the victim dies from his injuries)
Calculating future medical bills and loss of wages can be difficult to calculate if you were employed at the time of the incident, or if you require lifelong medical treatment. You may need to hire an expert to estimate these costs.
Contact an Experienced El Segundo Slip and Fall Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall or trip and fall accident, please contact the experienced personal injury attorneys at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates. Our El Segundo slip and fall accident attorneys specialize in getting compensation for accident victims and their families.
With multiple offices located in El Segundo, Los Angeles, Irvine, Anaheim, Riverside, and San Diego, our personal injury attorneys represent injured victims across Southern California. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with an experienced El Segundo slip and fall lawyer, please call 619-304-8867.